plastic sheet between underlay and carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question, There's a musty smell coming from one of my bedrooms from the flooring. I'm suspecting it's some insulation which I put inside the cavity between the porch roof and bedroom floor.

Now I want to leave the insulation where it is as the bedroom gets very cold if it is removed, but to get rid of the smell, I'm thinking of laying a plastic sheet on top of the underlay directly below the carpet.

The question however is would there be any problem with this with regards to the carpet slipping around on top of the plastic sheet as it has nothing to keep it in place (there are grabber strips in place around the edges of the room, but there will be no friction between the underlay and carpet)?

Any questions, please ask. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd be rather more inclined to find out why there is a musty smell coming from the insulation rather than just trying to mask it. The smell may very well indicate that there is water ingress which will ultimately cause a much bigger problem if left.

Agree with ladylola,, which if you don''t know the chords are::: C, D Emajor..
Well thats the intro anyway,,,

If the subfloor is concrete then a plastic sheet may be fitted as a short term solution.
If it's timber then you shouldn't use a plastic sheet at all.

As ladylola says, best looking at the source of the problem..

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

Checked and found nothing at all, the insulation is bone dry.... Even after all the rain that we've had recently, no water ingress at all. The sub floor is the downstairs plastered ceiling, I've also checked all the central heating pipes that run through the room but again nothing at all !

The person who built the porch has basically removed some bricks from the the front of the house where the void space above the porch ceiling is so as to run electric cables into the porch. As the floor of the bedroom is partly on top of this porch ceiling voide however, the wind is then also free to move into the bedroom (the bay window of which sits directly above part of the porch roof).

This is where I'm guessing the smell is coming from. the wind blowing through the insulation and into the room. I put the plastic sheeting in yesterday and so far so good But will have to test it over a period of time yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back