Plastic v copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok...... what are the pros and cons of using 15mm copper vs 15mm plastic pipe for central heating. Also which is best....reasons for and against flow and return circuit or flo and return into a manifolod to each rad. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks in advance....... Eric :)

Sponsored Links
Plastic looks DIY and i have personal doubts about its durability. Been to too many major water leaks from plastic. It is however quicker, easier and cheaper than copper.

Copper is proven and done properly looks a better job. Lasts longer than plastic IMO. Its more expensive and time consuming to install.

I would always suggest fitting larger primary flow and returns with each rad Tee'd off these rather than manifolds. Manifolds can be a pain at times and have a habit of blocking if any muck in system

To make plastic pipe look neat you need a hell of a lot of wall clips to hold the shape of the pipe. For places you wont be seeing the pipe its very quick installation. I'm still very sceptical about plastic pipe and fittings but I know I shouldnt be really.

Sponsored Links
Plastic where its not visible,copper where it is . Thats all you need to know.
Plus this is all down to personal opinion so do what you like,but im right :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back