Plastic water butt split

Sponsored Links
I ended up trying the 'plastic welding' technique - pulling the gap together with a tiewrap, then soldering iron to melt and flow the plastic, then melt and flow additional plastic into the repair. When I came to test it, it was fine, apart from there were a few more slight cracks, needing more attention, which I fixed. I'm just waiting for it to rain now, to see if it holds up.

A decent coat of silicone sealant smeared all over the bottom helps to keep it watertight. The weight of the water pushes the silicone against the plastic so the more water there is the tighter the seal gets. I did mine about 10 years ago after the frost split it and it has been fine ever since.

Another one's just popped up here for free here, you all must live in areas where people are as tight as nats chuff, eh Mottie!

Sponsored Links
IBC's or old heating oil tanks (washed out) make good cheap water butts :D

I've got a 1200l slimline tank near the greenhouse, 1/4 turn tap, and a 3/4" hose for fast easy watering of the plants in there

You can get thermoplastic welding rods to go in a glue gun.

Mine is a cheap one and too low power, but I may get round to a better one

A decent coat of silicone sealant smeared all over the bottom helps to keep it watertight. The weight of the water pushes the silicone against the plastic so the more water there is the tighter the seal gets. I did mine about 10 years ago after the frost split it and it has been fine ever since.

That sounds like an interesting idea to try, thanks.

Where is the DIY in that?

I do sometimes spend more than the cost of replacing something, just repairing - out of which I derive a lot of satisfaction, with a problem solved and a new skill learned.
My old gaffer spent the better part of a morning sharpening a saw. Proud of his work, he proceeded to cut a piece of 4" x 2", which had showed reluctance and only two strokes of the saw, previously. He managed three strokes this time before it jammed, then promptly threw it across the stables we were converting. He didn't realise you had to set a saw also.

Sometimes a Jack saw is a really handy purchase, especially in bulk.(y)

Our plastic water butt has a split in the base, about 4" long, probably a result of ice and freezing. Access to the inside is a bit limited, in that it's tall, narrow and has a restricted opening width at the top. Has anyone found anything that might be able to repair it?

Sponsored Links
Back