Play area dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm desperate to get a play area finished for my kids. Their swing set and slide has been boxed in the garage for 2 years! We have cut down several trees and gravelled a large area this year so they do have somewhere to play. We just need to get the lawned area finished and then there's the playground bit. Problem is, money is tight (whos isn't at mo?). And there is a large but beautiful tree over to one side which we would like to keep. Our original idea of lawn isn't going to work because the tree will overshadow part of it and it will die. I'm not keen on bark because last time I used it I was overrun with woodlice (unless anyone knows of any that doesn't attract them). Pea gravel sounds good but I'm weary of cleaning leaves out of it in Autumn. Rubber chippings and rubber mats are expensive. Pavers are too hard. I'm now contemplating a few tonne of sand with foam rubber interlocking mats laid on top. The area is around 9.5m x 3m. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
for me? i'd say get rid of the tree, and get a lawn the kids can run around....?

We will also have a lawned area for them to run about. This is just the area for their swings etc. It's the only tree left in the garden and is as tall as the house so I wouldn't fancy cutting that one down. It's also the only thing preventing us being overlooked so it's quite useful. (And the kids wouldn't forgive us as they like to climb it :) )

Sponsored Links
Yes the tree house idea had crossed my mind but until I solve the problem of something cheap to put down for them to fall on I can't build that or put up the swings & slide that are still in the garage.

Pea gravel and a leaf blower/vacuum could solve your problems.

If it helps LIDL have a promo on a leaf blower/vacuum on monday the 12th of september for 39.99.

At that price its a throw away when it eventually breaks, i got a 18inch 2 stroke chainsaw from them over 18 months ago for the same price and use it a lot as i am in the trade and it has never let me down.

I do suggest you be there as the shop opens as they normally only have one or two and they go real quick.

Thank you! I have wondered about leaf blowers before but thought they might not be any good with gravel as they could suck the gravel up. I'm so glad you have clarified that for me. I will try Lidl but our local branch hardly ever has the items the advertise, but it's worth a try. If not I'll have a look around. We created a 'secret passageway' down the side of the garage using pea gravel and a camouflage tarpaulin hung between the garage and the fence. The kids love it and think we don't know they're there (although the crunch of the gravel tells us otherwse!). It has stayed almost weed free, no sharp edges, and I'm very pleased with it.

dont forget that treehouses need planning permision because the platform is higher than 300mm above the ground :cry:

Mine will only be around 1.5m off the ground. I don't have the room for a big one :LOL: I was thinking more of a raised deck which wraps around the tree and the existing playhouse anchored to it. Mabe a 3/4 rung rope ladder. My kids are only 2 & 4 so I could always replace it with something more challenging when they get bigger.

12" is the maximum unfortunatly yours will be 5 times that at 5ft :cry:

12"? That's crazy! What loopy beaurocrat thought of that rule? My 'treehouse' would only be as high as my 6' fence yet I need plannng permission? What about the play forts and covered climbing fames you can buy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back