Garden Play area project - sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

So I'm in the process of creating a play area for our children.

So far, I've removed the top grass from an area of ~6m x 3.5m. I'm planning on taking this down about 30mm so that I can put down a weed fabric, and then put down ~50mm of Rubber mulch as a surface.
S8Hf7eZbelNknFJ4zK1cW_tvCNORiVC-pu2LzE97AuX9vYEhJYRROIbX5Cq0VTJW9rwH0mbQAWsWEm4IyFx74B20j5kiyheRvztBjGC37DQASnEkei6YZCumNSjM3sbPtSlIPub3Ldc=w2400

I'd like to edge the area in sleepers, either Oak or pressure treated softwood, and then build a raised bed at the back against the block wall to give some planting space.

However I had a couple of questions around the best way to install them.
I'm intending on using 200mm x 100mm sleepers, laid on the 200mm edge, keeping ~50mm above ground level.

Is it sufficient to lay them on a bed of gravel, or should I be aiming to concrete or peg them in?
As for drainage, is it advisable to surround the buried edges with pea shingle or gravel to prevent direct contact of soil etc?
Also, I'm only intending on going one course high around 3 sides, so should I be aiming to just butt the ends together? Half lap them? Strap/staple them?

Cheers in advance for any responses.

Regards
Gavin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back