garden sleeper enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought 8 new brown treated garden sleepers (2.4m x 125 x 250) with the intention of creating an enclosure around a trampoline area. I have a membrane and bags of woodchip to cover the area and 200mm timberlok bolts to secure the sleepers together.

My question is hwo should I prepare the ground that the sleepers lie on? Am i ok just taking away the turf and leveling then laying the sleepers on the turn or should I lay them on stones or even buried breeze-blocks? I don't want to concrete these in as the weight and fixings will make them unlikely to move.

Also, the lawn goes right up against the logs. Is this ok or would it be better to leave a gap and maybe fill with stones or such?

Looking for easy and cheap options please.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
I recently did some work with sleepers. I laid mine on soil but backfilled with gravel to provide drainage. Mine will also have turf running up to it.

Even though they are heavy and will be secured to each other it will be well worth securingthem to the ground using stakes. Mine are only 2 high and I needed them as the pressure of soil is very misleading. I drove in 2.5ft 50mm square treated stakes and then secured the sleepers to the stakes.

I'll try without stakes for the time as there will only be bark chippings in there. read a few other posts and some people lay them on shingle to stop them sitting on water. Also some staple a waterproof layer to the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Okay... Yeah shingle will be fine it you can get it to stay there. I have pushed some gravel under my sleepers to prevent it from sitting completely on soil. But I have a helpful slope on my garden :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back