Please don't laugh, but I'm getting desperate...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Before I start, please don't shoot me! I've had 2 guys said they couldn't help and 1 who refused come out!

I have an Ideal Response 80, at least 8 years old.... I know, I know....
Anyway, after pressure loss/build up I've retrofitted a replacement ex vessel.
All's been refilled/bled etc, but now the CH burner keeps cutting out, but pcb doesn't lock out.
DHW is ok and there is constant call for heat, but the CH burner comes on/off every few seconds and CH temp wont increase.
I've checked fan, pump and for air locks and all seems fine. As HW works I'm guessing it's a bit more sinister?

I'm gonna try CH temp sensor tomorrow, but has anyone got any other ideas?

Really need to try and sort this 'cos I just can't afford a new boiler.
Is there anyway of knowing if it's the HEX for sure? I'm prepared to try all alternatives.

Thanks, Sean

Sponsored Links
have you opened the aav on the top of the boiler? try overpressureing the boiler as sometimes this hepl clear an air lock. failing that, try bg for a fixed price repair. we MAY be able to sort this.

i dont thinkits the end of this boiler jst yet.

Sponsored Links
as a leaking hex can really be dangerous, it is time to call in a pro

unless im missing something hes got no ch circulation but hw works. no mention of water leaks. th efault occured after a draindown so the assumption is airlock.

Thanks, guys.

There's no pressure loss now, so maybe leaky hex isn't problem.
I've opened AAV, maybe it too is knackered seeing as the ex vessel was?

I had BG come round. Just did a tightness test and said boiler's too old, blah, blah, blah... They didn't even charge me - tho could give me a quote for new boiler!

I had BG come round. Just did a tightness test and said boiler's too old, blah, blah, blah... They didn't even charge me - tho could give me a quote for new boiler!

Well I never, that a new approach from BG. :rolleyes:

Its about time trading standards prosecuted BG.

Top ranking rogue traders :evil:

Well I never, that a new approach from BG. :rolleyes:

Its about time trading standards prosecuted BG.

Top ranking rogue traders :evil:

Looks like BG "fixed price repair" doesn't include anything more complicated than a thermocouple or pump change. Quotes for new boilers are free though. :evil:

I had BG come round. Just did a tightness test and said boiler's too old, blah, blah, blah... They didn't even charge me - tho could give me a quote for new boiler

More fuel for the fire :p

Hmm, I know
What ever happened to the good old days when trades would REPAIR things?
:!:

you haven't closed one of the flow and return valves on the boiler by any chance when you put on the external vessel?

Hi guys.

Before I start, please don't shoot me! I've had 2 guys said they couldn't help and 1 who refused come out!

From what the OP said in original post its not just BG that arent willing to touch it neither are the independants. Lets face it, no-one wants to work on these

No mate. Have double checked all the obvious.
CH is working but wont raise temperature properly. Starting to think it's the temp sensor.

Totally agree pp. Tho what're ya meant to do? :cry:

Hi guys.

From what the OP said in original post its not just BG that arent willing to touch it neither are the independants. Lets face it, no-one wants to work on these

That may be the case, but the BG engineer was pulling a fast one so he didn't have to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back