Please help before I throw my scraper out of the window!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house and am trying to decorate our first room BUT it is turning into a nightmare!!

First I painted emulsion onto one wall and it cracked, didn't peel off just cracked like crazy paving. Decided this was because the paint underneath was slightly glossy and we had not sanded it first. We decided to then sand and the paint started peeling off. My partner thought the plaster underneath looked good so we started scraping the paint off.

To cut a long story short I have now scraped off 2 1/2 walls and am at the end of my tether. In some places it is so well stuck that yesterday i decided to try 'Home strip' which claims to remove 5 layers of paint with no fumes. I am now left with a sticky mess and paint that still has not come off. It also turns out that although not awful, the plaster is not as great as we first thought.

What do we do now??? Our options seem to be - sanding (messy), carrying on with the scraping which I really am having a breakdown over or wallpapering. Wallpapering is ok but it seems like I will have to resort to horrible textured paper to cover the lumps and bumps.

Any other ideas before I go completely crazy? Can't believe I still have other rooms to do!!!!

Sponsored Links
High Saz

not sure but firstly was this paint coating under wallpaper or anything, is it powdery if you run your hands over it? is it coloured and when you say shiney, is it like a gloss.

how old is the house that it is in, ohh and don`t use paint stripper, its a bitch, as you have found out (i only know as i used it on an old banister and ended up flicking the gloop all up the walls!)

but not sure, someone will have the answer but sounds like some sort of old paint, so be carefull it my contain lead! it may be possible to paint on a layer of something like PVA to provide a bonding surface for the new paint, or have you tried water, will it wash off, i am only speaking as i have just scrapped a whole ceiling of distemper off.

your best answer may be to have the room skimmed with plaster, this will give you a good finish to the walls and a plaster will know if he can plaster onto the old surface.

but don`t give up just yet :D

Give the walls a good rub down and line em with 1000 grade lining paper.

Sponsored Links
It is kind of a semi gloss surface. Not like gloss you would put on your woodwork but definately more glossy than your normal emulsion. From what I have removed so far, there seems to be about 6 layers. I haven't taken any precautions against lead so I really hope it isn't!!!!

I got some wallpaper samples today with a view to compromising and doing the two unscraped walls with paper and the other walls (one is finished and the other almost) with paint. I have a pot of polycell 'problem walls' for the two I am going to paint which claims to be a primer, sealer and undercoat all in one. I too am worried about wallpaper sticking to the others though. One wall is still totally painted in the semi gloss paint. If i just sand it over will the paste stick? Do I need to size it first. Never papered before so should be fun :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back