Please help! Fixing holes in pasterboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have just removed some tiles from my batchroom wall and it has left some large holes in the plasterboards in some areas, the largest probably about the size of a breakfast bowl. Can you advise me of the best way to patch up these holes before putting the new tiles down? The main problem I can see is that, as it is a dry-internal wall, there is a large gap between the plasterboard and anything behind it, so there are no blocks or boards immediately behind the wall for several feet and so, I can't just simply put filler into the hole as there is nothing behind it to stick to!

If you have any ideas as to how I get round this problem I would be very grateful!

Many thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
When/if it's as bad as you say, it would be easier to take off the old whole sheet, and put on a new sheet of plasterboard,,,, or at the very least, cut out the damaged areas, put in some extra noggins for support, and patch the wall that way. Just tape over the new joints, and it's ready for re-tiling, or you can skim/plaster it over. It'll be much easier than trying to patch, especially if you're unsure.

Roughcaster.

Many thanks to everyone who read my post and special thanks to roughcaster for the very quick and extremely useful reply. I have now removed all the tiles, and the holes are not too bad, so I will probably go with the option of cutting the holes into squares/rectangles, adding some extra noggins and patching with squares of new plasterboard as you suggest.

Much appreciated

Jon

Make the holes in your wall have neat edges with a Stanley knife - squares or rectangles. Then cut a piece of stiff cardboard or thin plywood or something to a size that covers your neat hole, but you can get into the hole on the diagonal. Pierce holes in either end of your patch, and thread string through one hole, along the back of the patch, and out the other hole. Put a bead of your chosen filler (the new "lightweight" fillers are great for big holes) round the edge of your patch, ease it into the hole, and pull it tight to the backside of your hole with the 2 strings, so the filler squidges out the sides. Tie the strings to a couple of pins on either side of the hole, and apply more filler to the inside edge of your hole, so it melds with that which has squidged out of your patch. Leave for a couple of days to harden, then fill the hole on your patch to a smooth finish with the existing wall. Cut the strings with a razor-blade, remove the pins, sand and make good any rough bits.

Works for me.

Sponsored Links
That's a bit "ROUGH" Jlacd, I know what you mean, but "never" use a pieces of stiff cardboard :eek: or thin plywood to patch a hole in a wall/ceiling.... I thought that method, and bits of screwed up newspaper were a thing of the past.. If you're going to patch that way, at least use plasterboard... :rolleyes: If the holes are too big, it's easier by far to cut out, frame with noggins, plasterboard it, and it's ready to tile, tape or skim.

Roughcaster.

When I've done it in the past, I've used p/b, and it's been fine... I don't see why a bit of 6mm ply wouldn't do the trick as well? Mind you, I'm just a DIY-er :LOL: Maybe I was stretching the point with the cardboard,, I'll admit..... mind you, seeing what passes for a job in this house, I'm a chuffing artisan! Have you ever seen a double electrical socket "fixed" with silicone into a punched-out plasterboard hole 2cm bigger all round than the box?

I would use plasterboard for that type of small patch,,, fitted exactly the way you described Jlacd.... Plaster wont bond the same to plywood. All the best. ;)

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the further useful replies guys.

I have virtually finished the job now. I used plasterboard patches and ixed them in place using advice from both of you. Today I have tidied up the joints with tape and patching plaster. It's not looking too bad.

Next job...putting the new tiles! I may well be back for further advice, albeit to a different forum!

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Cheers

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back