Please Help - Get Rid of Smell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If there is a more appropriate forum I should be posting in then please let me know. Think this may be beyond culinary forums however.

I was cooking some pasta the other day and stupidly left it on for too long. The water boiled off and pan/plastic started to melt/burn. I left all the doors and windows open and the extractor on but the smell is still there and it feels like its just as strong as when it happened a few days ago.

I feel bad for my housemate as he owns the property. I also took the pan off of the hob when I realised and placed it on the work surface. Because of the heat the surface has burn blisters on it now. I know nothing can be done about that, which makes me feel terrible. But with the smell its just like a constant reminder and I feel so bad and awkward when I'm there now (literally didn't sleep last night as I was up feeling bad).

If anyone could give me any tips with how I can get rid of the smell I'd really appreciated it. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Many Thanks,

The Moron

Sponsored Links
While you are at home, open a window at the front of the property and one at the back, this will cause a through draft and help remove any smells. You can also light a candle, when the windows are closed as this will also remove smells. (eg Tea light, the type from ikea)

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I did the through draft thing for most of the weekend and it didn't make much of a difference. I think the smell may be embedded on the walls and in the cupboards. I'm going to go to ASDA and see if I can find any cleaning products that may be able to help. Do you know any that would help?

I'll grab some candles and some of those glade air fresheners things as well.

Thanks for the reply!

You can also light a candle, when the windows are closed as this will also remove smells. (eg Tea light, the type from ikea)

Andy
I can imagine you driving home from your draincleaning - with a row of candles on the dashboard of your van - like a shrine :LOL: ;) . I`ve just stunk out our living room with logs on the fancy new fireplace :oops: going to buy some febreze fabric smelly stuff and carpet freshner - smells get into fabrics :idea:

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that,

What ratio of lemon juice/white vinegar should I be using? Will that take off the paint if I do it on the walls?

Moron

No water , it's just a mild acid which kills germs and degreases while smelling pleasant, just add enough lemon juice to neutralise any smell of vinegar.Not crucial.Wont harm any surface.And cheaper than any off the shelf product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back