please help me wire a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok so ive been searching around for a while but nothing seems to get through my thick skull. i'm looking to replace my light switch with this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-LED...al_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item35d4aba4d1

one of the switches will control a series of lights in a bedroom and is the only switch to control these lights. the other switch will control lights on the landing and is one of 5 switches to control these lights. will this work? and if so how and where do the wires go?

the picture shows the current light switch

any help at all will be appreciated
cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately that switch is not compatible with your existing wiring.

Unfortunately that switch is not compatible with your existing wiring.

Indeed as one of the gangs needs to be 2 way.

Also not sure I would trust a company who thinks power is measured in mA, and does not know how to spell Isle of Wight.

Sponsored Links
As said this one is on/off only. There is a problem with electronic switching in general. To work it required power but most light switches don't have a neutral so they use the light to get power. This is common in industry too with 4 - 20 ma detectors so two wires are doing what should need three.

However with electronic bulbs this causes a problem it can cause LED lamps not to switch off fully or CFL to flash some have built in filters to stop this but unlike the 4 - 20ma detectors there is as yet no industrial standard as to how much power can be sent through the bulb without it lighting.

The standard standby power be it TV, DVD, VCR or light switch is 1ma or less and this switch does say it complies using only 1ma but what is not a standard is for a LED or CFL to leak 1ma without coming on dim or flashing.

There are some systems that do allow some really good control like the "EasySwitch Wireless Switch System" but they are not cheap. Also in the main battery operated which gets around the lack of neutral at the switch without the lamps flashing or coming on dim. But at over £100 for system not really in the same league.

Many electronic switches will say things like 10 - 250 watt and since most LED bulbs are around the 7W it would be rather a blinkered approach to fit switches which are not future proof.

However there is also a move to a different method of two way switching using master and slave I include a link to one system here it is possible the switch you have selected also has this master/slave system but it does not show it in the advert you link to.

However there seems to still be a link with touch control and dimming it seems hard to find a touch control switch which is not also a dimming switch which is why I don't use them.

I have been looking myself for replacement switches but have decided to wait for the LED revolution to settle down I am sure soon there will be LED compatible electronic switches at a reasonable price but have still to find them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back