new switch wiring help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2020-3-3_10-24-30.jpeg
i can’t figure out how to wire the last switch, to new 2 way switch , to many wires , the light switch i’m trying to do controls bathroom and landing light , there are 2 other switches downstairs for the bottom landing light , 1 2 way switch plus 2 gang switch, i wired the top light as some said it would be but now none of the lights turn off and i have to turn off the fuse box for upstairs and downstairs to cut the lights

Sponsored Links
Hi, not so easy to tell how it was before or after from your description, but 8/10 for trying to draw/sketch it out.

Can you confirm (yes/no) that you now have to turn off 2 "switches" in your "fuse box" to turn "both/all" lights off? You may have joined 2 circuits together which is a bad thing. It's not the end of the world if so. Try to ignore winston.

Sponsored Links
You have NO RIGHT to tell other members to ignore me or anyone else.
If you had actually tried to help rather than giving a smug and condescending comment, i might agree, but if you remember back to primary school you'll realise everyone learnt to ignore smart comments at an early age

Every couple of weeks someone comes on here having removed a ceiling rose or light switch etc without noting or photoing the wiring and then asks how to rewire another. Don't you think pointing out their error helps them for next time and hopefully someone else contemplating doing the same thing?

@mikeyd yes i have to turn both of at the fuse box to shut the power off upstairs, i have managed to get the landing light off by the switch now tho but bathroom light still on , yeah it was a really stupid thing to do , because the photos i took are clearly not working unless the bottom switch is wrong tho knows

@winston1 , the reason i wanted help was that i can not figure it out from old switch to new the old switch terminal screws are knackered so can’t screw the cables in but , thanks for your concern tho , oh by the way your comments are not really useful but thanks for trying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back