PLEASE Help Me !!!!!!

Take the bath panel off and put a nrv on the hot pipe

Can I ask how you reach this conclusion from the information provided ?

What was the purpose of turning of the cold feed to the bathroom tub and basin taps to arrive at a problem with the hot water feed on the bath itself ?

Can I not fit a NRV to the hot water supply in the loft instead , rather than removing the tiled bathroom panel ?

Sponsored Links

What was the purpose of turning of the cold feed to the bathroom tub and basin taps to arrive at a problem with the hot water feed on the bath itself ?

Can I not fit a NRV to the hot water supply in the loft instead , rather than removing the tiled bathroom panel ?

It proved that the cold was backing up the hot pipe, yes you could fit it in the loft but the bath would be better if possible.

[/quote]yes you could fit it in the loft but the bath would be better if possible.[/quote]

Whats the difference between fitting in the loft and fitting under the bath ?

Sponsored Links
ScottJH";p="789656 said:
yes you could fit it in the loft but the bath would be better if possible.

Distance, the closer the tap the better, remember the tap will still let by up to the check valve, you could in practice find that the cold pressure will stop the hot flow completely if its too far away

doitall";p="789665 said:
yes you could fit it in the loft but the bath would be better if possible.

Distance, the closer the tap the better, remember the tap will still let by up to the check valve, you could in practice find that the cold pressure will stop the hot flow completely if its too far away

So finally then , before I dismantle the bath panel , based on all the information , photos and tests that have been carried out over the last week , are we 100% certain that fitting an NRV to the hot feed of the mixer tap on the bath will sort my problem ?

It cant be any blockage , a faulty boiler or themostat elsewhere in the house ?

Also , if I fit an NRV , as required , can i expect to notice any difference to the water flow released from the bath tap ?

You may get a reduction in pressure from the hot tap.

You have two things you can do. turn the water back on and see if the problem returns although you know it will, if you have a valve on the bath hot pipe you could turn that off and the cold back on, should be no problem, finally you could fit the check valve in the roof space as its easy to get too and try it, you can always fit it under the bath later.

ScottJH said:
So finally then , before I dismantle the bath panel , based on all the information , photos and tests that have been carried out over the last week , are we 100% certain that fitting an NRV to the hot feed of the mixer tap on the bath will sort my problem ?
It is not a 100% certainty, for the following reasons.

1. If the fault is that mains pressure is leaching through a tap casting into the low pressure DHW service, then fitting a NRV is masking the problem, not fixing it.

2. NRVs are not a guaranteed method of preventing backflow. I've seen an NRV allow a tiny amount of backflow in exactly the same scenario as yours. Over short periods the CSS didn't overflow, but if the occupiers went away for a few days then the level would rise enough to overflow. The fault was in a shower mixer valve, and the cure (for that customer) was to cap off the supplies to the valve (because they wanted to decommission the shower anyway).
_____

The only correct fix is to provide balances supplies to the tap. This can be done by fitting an equalising valve, or, more crudely, a pressure limiting device on the cold supply to the tap.

Looking at your picture of storage tank..........
What is that 22mm gate valve connected to the top of storage tank?

Why was the 'cold gravity feed blocked off' in the loft when it should be going to the cold side of your bath mixer?
The gravity feed pressure on the cold side was very slow when filling a bath.

It took around 1 hour to run and fill a bath so the cold water feed was tapped into the mains instead and the cold gravity blocked off.

Looking at your picture of storage tank..........
What is that 22mm gate valve connected to the top of storage tank?
Dunno why that is there to be honest , as well as the brass handle under it.

Both appear to control the mains feed into the storage tank and are on the same pipe so therefore only 1 would be needed. to cut off or turn on the mains supply.

7 pages ago I told you to fit NRVs on ALL your mixer hot supplies! :LOL:

Why not supply all your cold taps (except kitchen sink) with low pressure cold i.e off the cold tank? ;)

PLEASE FIX IT. :LOL:

7 pages ago I told you to fit NRVs on ALL your mixer hot supplies! :LOL:

Why not supply all your cold taps (except kitchen sink) with low pressure cold i.e off the cold tank? ;)

PLEASE FIX IT. :LOL:

I cannot do that to all the cold water taps as the cold water pressure is too week to fill the bathroom basin , let alone the bath.

Believe you me buddy , by Christ I wish that I bloody well could fix it because it is driving me mad.

It proved that the cold was backing up the hot pipe, yes you could fit it in the loft but the bath would be better if possible.

How can this happen in a mixer tap ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back