Please Help - Vibrating noise through the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in 4 weeks ago, its a 3 bed semi at the bottom of a cul de sac. Throughout the day and night whether or not we are using water we get a vibrating/humming noise through the house. It goes off at random times and is not as a result of a toilet flushing or boiler coming on. Whats worse is our neighbours 1,2 & 3 get the same noise. I am not sure if they can hear my noise or they have their own.
Last night when the noise went off I felt the stop cock and it was vibrating a lot. From this I will assume its a water based problem.
Next door is a fireman he tells me its not water hammer as it lasts logner than 60 seconds and is not as a result of taps on/off etc.
The noise is very loud, it sounds like someone is playing an oboe in the next room, then it gets quieter towards the end and stops, occaisionally have a slight encore but its quiet at that point. I can feel the floor vibrating at the same time (downstairs).
PLEASE HELP we have a 4 week old baby and its driving us mad.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
What hell does a fireman know about it ? :LOL:

It is almost certainly water hammer. The trick will be finding it.

First thing to do is fit a check valve after your main stop cock.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I will check the water valve in the street, is that what you mean? And ok I will get a plumber to fit the item you mentioned next to the stop cock. I will report back. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back