Please help with my porch roof

J

Jessica87uk

Hi we redone the felt on our porch roof applied using bitumen cold adhesive and tacked the edges with nails along the boards should we apply some bitumen glue over the nails to stop water getting in? Or is this overkill
Also whats the best way to seal the felt where it meets the wall?

Sponsored Links
Definitely spread bitumen over the nail heads....it doesn't look pretty but it does prolong the inevitable.
Ideally the felt should turn up the wall, and then into a cut groove so water can't get behind.
Feel free to get in there with the silicone sealer!
John :)

Exposed edge flashings i.e. onto fascia boards etc, are nailed on with the felt pointing inwards then the felt is turned up back on itself thus covering the nails.

As said, abutment flashings are turned into a mortar joint.

Sponsored Links
What if we don't have an angle grinder to make a line in the wall can felt be stuck onto the brickwork and sealed at the top
I know this isn't the best way but would it be watertight?

If you do the job that way, there's a very good chance that the felt will peel away from the wall.....especially if its in a sunny aspect where the felt will be moving. Keep a regular eye on it if you do!
Its best to chase into the wall....better still to chase in and use another flashing - felt only likes bending when its hot!

Is there anyway of removing the mortar without a grinder
hammer and chisel

Not really - there would be one hell of a mess as the cement bed wouldn't necessarily come out easily!
You can hire angle grinders and discs easily enough, but a cheapo 4 1/2" grinder is less than £30.....stone cutting discs are essential.

Jess, you'll be banned if you carry on like this. Please take this as a warning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back