Please- new floor tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have galloping woodworm by underfloor vents.
Got to lay a whole new lounge floor, I guess. I think 18mm t&g is the only one available these days (now have 1 inch boards) Joists 16 inch apart. Like to know if chipboard floors have problems? Or is 18mm t&g better and more permanent/versatile. Tips on laying very welcome, tools etc (including wrecking up the old floor and debugging ground, walls etc. also what to do about the height difference. Sorry about the hasty writing- dinners up!

Sponsored Links
After dinner, have a look here first. Most of your questions are already answered in various posts here.

If you still need some answers, we're all more then willing to help you further.

:) :)

Thanks W-Y-L, will follow your guide together with website, with pleasure,
thanks also for the prompt help. (had to rush or dinner would be in dog!) :)

Hope you have more time today. My post was not in disrespect and I hope you didn't take it as such.
This is a great forum, but you will notice a lot of questions gets repeated time after time and those 'new' questions will sometimes be ignored I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks W-Y-L, Absolutely wouldn't dream of taking offence.
Maybe my heading of 'new floor' should have been 'replacement floor'.
Sadly no luck on the threads- seems not many dudes are brave/stupid enough to contemplate replacing a complete suspended ptg floor. However Ill wait for some answers before I jump in the lake.(holding me sledge hammer) :cry:

Normally you will find the floor joists and the wallplate might need renewing :cry: then again you may be lucky.

Sometime they are rotted under the 4"x2" to the top of the sleeper wall bricks which you can't see, use a thin screwdriver to test.

Think you should check the total damage of the woodworm first (as Masona suggested) and go from there.

Your joist are to widely spaced for 18mm thick boards, you could either widen your joists or get thicker floor boards.

Good advice, guys. I did wonder about the boards flexing, think I've tracked down some 22mm, which is near what I've got. I am progressing across the floor, sawing as I go. Only hope the findings improve- or I'll have to consider the gas oven! (quickest way out!). The edge of the boards look like Hampton court maise! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back