Plenty of hot water, no heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, im hoping someone can help me with a problem that is driving me mad.

I have a FF240 ideal boiler and then a tank in the airing cupboard.

The heating hasnt been coming on for a couple of days and i have been working my way through a couple of things to see if i can get it to come on, so far no luck.

The boiler comes on, it ignites and stays on. the hotwater is fine, although a little too hot sometimes. i noticed yesterday that the water pressure reading on the boiler was zero, today i worked out where the lever was to get the water pressure up, when i turned the black lever i heard a rushing water sound, then nothing, i turned the lever back off and the water pressure had risen to 1.5, i did this again and it is now on 2.

So, i now have a boiler thats alight, pressure at the 2 mark, the therm in the hallway is on full, the black therm on the boiler is on 5, the switch in the airing cupboard is on and still nothing! all i have to show for my efforts is a drip from the lever i turned on and off.

Where am i going wrong?

Sponsored Links
You need to look for a ch zone valve and test this. Sounds as though it is stuck shut or the motor has gone.

Look in the airing cupboard first.

found a silver honeywell box that has manual at one end and then auto at the other, have switched to manual, is that right? will see if this heats the place up. if thats the case am i looking at a new one of these?

there is also a grey sunvic box, lever is on normal use, can change to flushing only, but no idea what this is!

They are both zone valves
One is heating
one is hot water
One of them is on the pipe going into the cylinder...thats the hot water one
Open the other one manually to test if is faulty

Sponsored Links
Didnt matter whether i have it on manual or the norm, nothing. I have also tried bleeding the rads, only one had a small amount of ait in it, the rest were full of water.

Im not sure if there is anything else i can try, am i going to have to admit defeat?

The valve that has the pipe running to the top middle inlet on your HW cylinder is the HW zone valve.

The other is your CH zone valve.

Try setting the CH valve to manual/open and selecting HW on the programmer.

If the rads heat up then it is saying that the CH valve head microswitch is knackered. You need a new head.

Which ff240 model do you have, do you know how old it is? Standard 40000 btu open vent one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back