no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi again,got a problem and hope someone has a fix.
the 2 motorized valves where changed last year,everything working fine until yesterday,no hot water.

with hw and ch off,the little levers on the valves have pressure and when pushed fully over they return to the normal setting.
when i turn on the hw only nothing happens,the levers stay the same and the boiler wont even kick in.
when i turn on the ch,the radiators get hot,no hot water,and the lever on the ch valve goes loose,ie no tensionand when i turn off the ch i can hear the ch valve whirring and it goes back to having pressure on the lever,does it every time.
surlye it cant be sticking allready as this will be the 3rd one that has been fitted in as many years.

Sponsored Links
Possibly the little synchron motor in the HW valve has failed. You need to test if power is reaching the motor. Can be done in your wiring centre or at the valve. What brand are they?

Possibly the little synchron motor in the HW valve has failed. You need to test if power is reaching the motor. Can be done in your wiring centre or at the valve. What brand are they?

hi gas man,they are honeywell and fitted not even 2 years ago.
so im i right it thinking its the hw valve sticking and not opening up when requested.
i thoght the prob was with the ch valve with the lever having no resistance,but should they only have resistance when not needed?
can i set the hw valve to manual to get enought hot water then un set from manual when done

If you manually open the HW valve and put the heating on, your cylinder will heat up.

The lever should go loose when the valve opens. If the lever is not going loose the valve is not opening.

As you can open the valve manually I doubt it's sticking, more likely that the motor has failed or lost its electricity supply.

Sponsored Links
I know you have had problems with the Honeywell valves but to be honest these are the best on the market , sounds like either the synchron motor has gone or the valve is not getting the signal supply when required, needs more investigation which you could do yourself with a multi-meter if you are comfortable on using one

hi guys,ive just replaced the little motor and the little lever goes floppy when the HW is turned on,as it should.
2 little things to help please.
1,i connected the motors 2 wires to the valve using standard electrical wire connectors and wrapped in insulation tape,im leaving the valve box open and the connectors are not near the motor or valve so not to get hot and melt,is that ok.
2,when i turn off the hw/ch from the kitchen,i can hear the valves whirring/closing upstairs,is this normal as its pretty loud.
many thanks again,awesome site

The replacement motors often come with a connector! Well the better ones do.

Otherwise you will have to find a way to connect the wires safely.

Didn't your plumber mate know how to do it?

Or does he not exist?

Its normal for the valves to make a slight whirring noise as they clors under the spring pressure. They must not be covered up as they need to be able to lose the heat when the motor is powered.

Tony

The replacement motors often come with a connector! Well the better ones do.

Otherwise you will have to find a way to connect the wires safely.

Didn't your plumber mate know how to do it?

Or does he not exist?

Its normal for the valves to make a slight whirring noise as they clors under the spring pressure. They must not be covered up as they need to be able to lose the heat when the motor is powered.

Tony
the motor came with a set of connecters but being a numpty dont know how they connect,not worth calling my plumber mate[he does excist tony]and his name is tony also,eek,he lives about 5 mile away.ive also got another plumber mate and his surname is plummer,how cool is that.
about the covering,i meant the front plate of the valve,and wasent/ wouldnt cover up the levers.
im going to take the connectors into work to see if someone can show me how they connect.

pps,i used a standard electricial block for the connection

latest update,it was working half an hour ago,just checked and it was stuck again,aaarrrrrhhhhhh,was just about to take the hammer to it when i noticed the thermostat on the actual tank was set very low,about 45,i turned it up to 60 and the hw valve whirred into action :D .
hope it lasts,tried turning the hw on and off a few times at the controls in the kitchen and it opens and closes as it should.
and i didnt have to call my MATE in .
hope it lasts.
thanks for all the advise,even tonys :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back