Pliers identity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'Any knowledgeable folk who may know what these pliers are used for ?
There's no makers name on them, just an interesting old tool that I found in a bucket of scrap yard tools.

Anyway, just something interesting, maybe : ) thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220725_201723.jpg
    20220725_201723.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
Google lens suggests they may be 'glaziers pliers'?

I think you're spot on there, thank you.
The slight angle in the closed position is the same too.
I have loads of old tools, lots of Record Stillson types, pump pliers from my old job.
It's interesting, the prices people ask for this stuff. I've given away quality Record vices because my workshop is so crammed.

I think the Vintage Tool Shop has got the description above wrong - glass pliers don't have serrated jaws. All the glaziers pliers I've ever seen have far wider jaws:

Glaziers Pliers.jpg

Personally I think they are nut pliers. Easier to use in confined spaces where you can't get an adjustable wrench or spanners in, such as the interior of a radio set or on a motorbike. Probably pre-date the introduction of socket sets

I therefore Googled "nut pliers" and got these vintage motorcycle nut pliers:

Vintage Motorcycle Nut Pliers.jpg

and these modern nut pliers from Bahco:

Bahco Nut Pliers.jpg

Serrated jaws on nut pliers make more sense to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sad, I know, but I also had 30-odd years riding (and therefore maintaining) various old British bikes, so I have had such tools in various original tool kits. I had a few bikes where the points were fixed in place with a square nut that no socket would ever fit (come to think of it I had a few cars like that, too). Even Honda used to include something similar in their tool kits in the 1970s

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Vintage Tool Shop has got the description above wrong - glass pliers don't have serrated jaws. All the glaziers pliers I've ever seen have far wider jaws:

View attachment 275379

Personally I think they are nut pliers. Easier to use in confined spaces where you can't get an adjustable wrench or spanners in, such as the interior of a radio set or on a motorbike. Probably pre-date the introduction of socket sets

I therefore Googled "nut pliers" and got these vintage motorcycle nut pliers:

View attachment 275380

and these modern nut pliers from Bahco:

View attachment 275381

Serrated jaws on nut pliers make more sense to me

Those top pliers, (glazier pliers), are widely used in the armature winding business. We called them 'flats' because quite often we would 'manufacture' our own from a 'normal' pair of large pliers to help straighten or twist flat copper wire. They were expensive to buy as an apprentice so we would weld the inner faces to fill the hollows and then grind and file them flat. We used to have 3 or 4 different sizes for different jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back