Parkside tools and Repairs

That was one of the points I was making - abuse of flexible cables. No appliance is immune to it, just look at any hair dryer or curling tongs used by an unsympathetic female.

There is an hair drier here which 40 years old and has had no repairs, simply because rather than the flex being wrapped tightly around it, it was hung up instead.

Sponsored Links
You'll have to get your missus to give my missus some pointers!

Cheap 3year warranty tools are only viable if you break them every 21/2 years and get a replacement or refund.
Or buy instead of hire and get refund after use.

i suspect some spam post that has now been removed has reactivated this 9 year old thread :D

Sponsored Links
My PBSA12 12v drill/driver has been working and in use all day every work day for the past 4 years+.
Yes the batteries are on their last legs, 1 has a cell that failed so I'll replace the cell but otherwise it's still going.

I have 2 of these drills and will get a third the next time they are available, along with a few more batteries.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parkside-Cordless-Drill-Screwdriver-Gearbox/dp/B08P9YPDH4

Although yesterday when I put a grab rail by the front door a 5mm SDS drill broke it's tip after the 2nd hole in sandstone. (I think that's what the stone around my front door is).

Yes they are cheap, yes they do not have the backup of spares, yes they are aimed at DIY but no they are not all garbage.
If you take care of a tool it will last a lot longer than if you do not and that includes when your not using it.

I own a Parkside belt sander bought 10 year ago from Lidl, used a few times, and stored in the damp cold shed for all that time. The other day, I took it out, and powered on, and it was still working fine as it was 10 year ago. I was really impressed, and when I was shopping some food stuff in Lidl a few days ago, I saw a new model of the same Parkside belt sander in green colour. It was £25, and looked good. I bought the new model, and now have 2x Parkside sanders. I kept buying more Parkside tools such as electric weed burners, and they all seem working fine. Hopefully they will last for another 10 - 20 years.

I believe these days, almost every power tools are made in China in one or two factories badging in different names selling in all over the world in different names and price tags.

Last edited:
I believe these days, almost every power tools are made in China in one or two factories badging in different names selling in all over the world in different names and price tags.
My Makitas were made in China, Japan and UK. My Bosch tools were made in Germany, Switzerland, USA and Malaysia. My Festools were made in Germany and Czech Republic. My Milwaukees were made in Germany and China. My deWalts were made in Germany, Italy, Slovenia and USA. Not all tools are made in China, nor are all tools rebadged versions of others, although I'll grant you that there is a lot of that in the DIY tool market

Not all tools are made in China, nor are all tools rebadged versions of others, although I'll grant you that there is a lot of that in the DIY tool market

Sure, I said "almost every" :D Now country of make on power tools doesn't bother me like they used to, say 20 year ago.

Chinese made and designed stuff is better than it was 20 odd years ago, but it still has a way to go. There is a world of difference between a tool designed outside China by multinational such as deWalt or Makita, but manufactured there to international standards and locally designed/made stuff

Edit: I missed out the illustrations of the points above - I recommend taking a look at some of AvE's videos on YouTube. The guy is an engineer and pulls tools apart for fun. His videos, like this one on a "knock-off" Chinese impact driver which uses Makita batteries and is the same body colour (a version which is Bosch blue and uses their batteries is also available) is quite instructive about how Chinese tools are so cheap, as is his video on "knock-off" Makita batteries. Warning: Adult language used! (so don't watch these whilst the missus or the kids are around :censored: ). He's also "outed" the bad behaviour of some of the big boys (i.e. cheapening components) when it comes to outsourcing production in China in particular, as in the case of the Skill MAG77 saw (he also pulls apart a very old Skil saw here, check the difference)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread made me remembering my cheap Chinese Angle Grinder bought from Argos in 2009. That is the year we moved into the house, so I remember well. The angle grinder was bought from Argos for £20, and I cleaned up many rusty garden tools and cast iron bird bath as well. The grinder is branded as "Xtreme", and it is 1010 Watt. I took it out from the damp cold shed forgotten for 10 years. This afternoon, I went to the shed, plugged it in, and powered on. Wow, it was running as good as back in 2009.

A couple of year ago, when I was needing an angle grinder, I knew the Argos angle grinder was lying somewhere in the shed but didn't think it would be working. I went and bought a new angle grinder Erbauer from Screwfix. I feel that was a unnecessary purchase.

I have a Tauco pillar drill that I bought from a car boot sale over 20 years ago, still works perfectly and I believe it was made in the 1940's - about 80 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back