Tools I need

All tools used in trade need to be PAT tested - the HSE insist on regular PAT testing

I used to think that but-

From the HSE FAQ,the answer to "Is Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) compulsory?"

No. The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often.

it's certainly a (small print) requirement in my Insurance.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

The rules which once applied only to construction sites now apply to all self employed trades (PUWER 98, etc)

Quickly scanning through the PUWER HSE website I can't find any mention of PAT. They do however state that power tools must have a CE cert. I guess that means that some American cordless tools that do not have EU distributors would therefore not be legal even if you could find a 240v battery charger.

I did find this on an third party site

Are PAT tests a legal requirement under PUWER? No. PAT tests are useful to show that portable appliances are electrically safe but they are not a legal requirement under PUWER.

As to PAT testing of negative earth 230 volt tools being just a visual inspection, that's not true - the tools still need to be put on the tester and the tests run (AFAIK earth continuity and 500 volt DC insulation tests to metal components such as chucks as a minimum)

You are absolutely correct, I was having a senior moment. Although the tools are double isolated, yes they do need to be tested. Just out of interest, when conducting the touch leakage test the probe needs to be connected to the tool whilst the tool is running, in the case of a drill how do they do they connect a crocodile clip to a spinning chuck?

Sponsored Links
Here's the rub, though, it is a requirement to have a risk assessment and method statements for jobs you undertake. In order to ensure that tools and electrical equipment used by operatives are in good order (a legal obligation) the RAMS will generally state that periodic inspection, testing and certification will be undertaken by a competent and qualified person. The RAMS are a legal requirement - without adequate RAMS the HSE can take action against you - and the accepted manner to obtain the periodic Inspection, testing and certification is generally to do a PAT test, label the tool and hold a written copy and register of reports....

Getting anything else past an insurer, main contractor or sub contractor is nigh on impossible

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this thread is a wind up.....................'I'm going to be a handy- man, what tools do I need?'

Andy

That isn't what I asked Andy. I asked about 'decent' kit. I have tools but as they are not pro-tools they are wearing out and I am having problems with them so therefore I asked...

"I have about £1500 to spend. I need
Corded drill (I have an SDS but need something smaller)
Circular Saw, corded or cordless
Jigsaw
What would be your suggestions for these? I don't want to buy twice so want decent kit please."

I know what tools I need, I just don't know what are considered the best/hard-wearing/long-lasting/reputable. It was a genuine question. I'd like to do this part-time, have been offered work in various places but didn't want my kit to let me down.
I am sorry you felt it was a wind-up. It isn't.

Last edited:
Toolstation sent me an email recently, £100 off Dewalt.

Sponsored Links
The tools you need depend of what jobs you do.
I have had my black and decker corded drill in its box for the past 3 years, that doesn't mean that someone else might use it every day.
With modern drills, having upgraded my cordless recently, I found that many don't have the chuck perfectly centered, including makita (usually my favourite) and dewalt.
I ended up with a bosch professional, blue line.
So, look out for a good deal on a reputable brand, but once you get it, make sure to test it properly and send back if not good.
My hope is that the brands like makita and dewalt might start making their components in factories where there's a minimum quality control if they get enough tools sent back by customers.
A drill with a wobbly chuck is just a piece of junk imo.
With regards to the circular saw, it's a very simple tool, so unless you buy the cheapest, you'd be ok.
Just make sure the saw takes standard size blades, so not to have problems in future.
I don't use mine much having a table saw, so i am ok with my ancient bosch green.
Jigsaw, again it's a simple tool, so any midrange would be good, as long as you have decent blades.
I have a black and decker, a makita, a wickes and a parkside (all received as gifts).
In order, for fine cuts where no error is allowed i prefer makita, parkside, wickes and last black and decker which somehow has managed to come out of the factory with a slightly twisted blade holder.
As last advice regarding hand tools, I find that they're more important to be of quality than power tool.
That's because our hands are not perfectly steady, so if you add a bendy/unprecise tool, you end up making a mess.
I do woodwork, so for example, a sharp quality chisel is essential to work on any project where i can't use a router.
Cheap chisels are confined to the bottom of the toolbox for when i have to work on a piece of wood that might have hidden nails/screws.
Good luck.

Corded drill: Bosch GSB16RE, GSB19-2RE or GSB21-2RE drills (all have metal gearboxes/gears). Problem is that the 19 and 21 are the same size and weight as an SDS, and if you go smaller than the 16 you'll lose the metal gearbox (and get an all plastic housing). Metabo have the BE600-13/2 and BE75/16 which are good drills (especially the BE75) whilst Makita have their HP2050 and HP2071F models. I've used a few of these, including a Makita HP2071F (standard issue for my current employers - solid piece of kit if a bit old fashioned) and a Metabo BE75/16 (massive torque 'ideal for big auger bits), and I currently own a Bosch GSB21-2RE which is retained for drilling biggish holes in heavy steel work where a cordless wouldn't stand a chance, but TBH most of my drilling is done with an 18 volt combi drill (Makita DHP481 - heavy, solid, probably the best chuck on the market - all metal, engineering quality - good for holes in steel up to 10mm diameter in 6mm wall electro arc steel)

Circular saw: Unless you are continually sawing stock over 40mm thick, or are doing a lot of sawing, a 165mm cordless wins hands down over a corded drill for portability. Mine gets used more often than a hand saw. If the budget permits go for a brushless tool rather than a brush motor design because the brushless ones have far more power and batteries last longer on them.

In terms of jigsaws, they all suffer from wandering blades, even pro models (although they are better). I've had quite a few Bosch GST (blue, trade models) over the years and the current GST160 is worth taking a look at, if only because it cuts straighter than many lesser saws due to its' dual guide set up. Almost as good as a Festool, but cheaper. Best on the market is the Mafell P1cc, but that's a king's ransome about £500

If you go cordless, pick a battery system and stick with it rather than having 3 or 4 different ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tools you need depend of what jobs you do.
I have had my black and decker corded drill in its box for the past 3 years, that doesn't mean that someone else might use it every day.
With modern drills, having upgraded my cordless recently, I found that many don't have the chuck perfectly centered, including makita (usually my favourite) and dewalt.
I ended up with a bosch professional, blue line.
So, look out for a good deal on a reputable brand, but once you get it, make sure to test it properly and send back if not good.
My hope is that the brands like makita and dewalt might start making their components in factories where there's a minimum quality control if they get enough tools sent back by customers.
A drill with a wobbly chuck is just a piece of junk imo.
With regards to the circular saw, it's a very simple tool, so unless you buy the cheapest, you'd be ok.
Just make sure the saw takes standard size blades, so not to have problems in future.
I don't use mine much having a table saw, so i am ok with my ancient bosch green.
Jigsaw, again it's a simple tool, so any midrange would be good, as long as you have decent blades.
I have a black and decker, a makita, a wickes and a parkside (all received as gifts).
In order, for fine cuts where no error is allowed i prefer makita, parkside, wickes and last black and decker which somehow has managed to come out of the factory with a slightly twisted blade holder.
As last advice regarding hand tools, I find that they're more important to be of quality than power tool.
That's because our hands are not perfectly steady, so if you add a bendy/unprecise tool, you end up making a mess.
I do woodwork, so for example, a sharp quality chisel is essential to work on any project where i can't use a router.
Cheap chisels are confined to the bottom of the toolbox for when i have to work on a piece of wood that might have hidden nails/screws.
Good luck.

Thanks. I bought a new set of Irwin Marples I use for finer woodworking, and I too have an old set I use for other jobs. Thank you for your help. I will have a shop around.

Corded drill: Bosch GSB16RE, GSB19-2RE or GSB21-2RE drills (all have metal gearboxes/gears). Problem is that the 19 and 21 are the same size and weight as an SDS, and if you go smaller than the 16 you'll lose the metal gearbox (and get small plastic housing). Metabo have the BE600-13/2 and BE75/16 which are good drills (especially the BE75) whilst Makita have their HP2050 and HP2071F models. I've used a few of these, including a Makita HP2071F (standard issue for my current employers - solid piece of kit if a bit old fashioned) and a Metabo BE75/16 (massive torque 'ideal for big auger bits),
and I own a Bosch GSB21-2RE which is retained for drilling biggish holes in heavy steel work where a cordless wouldn't stand a chance, but TBH most of my drilling is done with an 18 volt combi drill (Makita DHP481 - heavy, solid, probably the best chuck on the market all metal, good for holes in steel up to 10mm diameter in 6mm wall steel)

Circular saw: Unless you are continually sawing stock over 40mm thick, or are doing a lot if sawing, a 165mm cordless wind hands down over a corded drill for portability. Mine gets used more often than a hand saw. If the budget permits go for a brushless tool rather than a brush motor design because the brushless ones have far more power and batteries last longer on them.

In terms of jigsaws, they all suffer from wandering blades, even pro models (although they are better). I've had quite a few Bisch GST (blue, trade models) over the years and the current GST160 is worth taking a look at, if only because it cuts straighter thanmany lesser saws

If you go cordless, pick a battery system and stick with it rather than having 3 or 4 different ones.

I will have a look at all of these models, thank you. Hard to know whether or not to stick with one brand or not. I have a Milwaulkee cordless drill and impact driver but going down their line for all of the above will be too expensive and probably overkill for what I do. Thank you, I appreciate your lengthy post.

This offer came though toolstation the other day as Chris_w mentioned , sold out on first day, but seems to be back again
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-...ss-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p88353

i think a reasonable deal = 2x4Ah batts and the 3 speed impact driver and 2 speed middle spec drill
I'm just a DIYer and the 3 speed impact has been great
I have also been looking at the 3 speed combi drill, but it is quite heavy , and not really been able to justify as my drill is the cheapest one in the dewalt range - Not the model listed above

BUT it is in a kit,
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck276p2-gb-18v-xr-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p48166
NOT sure how good a deal that is though - maybe worth looking at how much to buy in a different combination

Then theres always the bigger kit offers
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck694p3-gb-18v-xr-li-ion-cordless-brushless-6-piece-kit/p17783

maybe have a look at screwfix as well.

This offer came though toolstation the other day as Chris_w mentioned , sold out on first day, but seems to be back again
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-...ss-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p88353

i think a reasonable deal = 2x4Ah batts and the 3 speed impact driver and 2 speed middle spec drill
I'm just a DIYer and the 3 speed impact has been great
I have also been looking at the 3 speed combi drill, but it is quite heavy , and not really been able to justify as my drill is the cheapest one in the dewalt range - Not the model listed above

BUT it is in a kit,
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck276p2-gb-18v-xr-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p48166
NOT sure how good a deal that is though - maybe worth looking at how much to buy in a different combination

Then theres always the bigger kit offers
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck694p3-gb-18v-xr-li-ion-cordless-brushless-6-piece-kit/p17783

maybe have a look at screwfix as well.

Thanks so much. I will have a look. I never know if the multi-kits are good value or not. Thanks for the help, Graham

Ahh, so the fact I have come on looking for "tool" advice makes you think I don't know how to DIY? OK Andy....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back