Drill question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of corded SDSs, a lump of a Titan one that is brilliant, but very heavy, and a lighter dewalt corded. I've also got a cordless green Bosch combi drill.

My cordless doesn't even scratch the hard bricks of my 1930s semi, but digging out extension cables is a pain.

Would a decent cordless makita combi drill (I've got a few makita tools/batteries) with some good bits work in hard bricks? My bosch is on its last legs and needs replacing, and I don't want another sds if I can help it.

Thx

Sponsored Links
general comments
if the batteries are more than around 10 years old they could be down to perhaps 20% power
are they old nicad/nmh or li-ion

The bosch batteries are li ion, and it's a decent drill in anything but my bricks.

Happily go through joists and sleepers with a 10mm wood bit.

My DeWalt 18v DCD996 (top of the range when I bought it a few years ago) will drill holes in Accrington's but it's pretty slow and I have to start with small bits and work up in size - but does the job if I can't be bothered digging out the SDS. My dad had the green Bosch combi and like yours it just bounced around.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Cdbe, that was my worry. I'll just buy a single gang extension for my sds and have it on there permanently! Got a bathroom refurb coming up, and was looking for an excuse to give her indoors when I buy another drill, but I'll buy a circular saw instead!

Careful with old and very hard bricks with big SDS drill. I've had bricks shatter when drilling.

I use DeWalt extreme masonry bit in 18volt hammer drill on slow speed no problems.

When I moved in to my 1950's property (with rendered walls) I once managed to bend a reasonable quality 7mm masonry bit. The bit glowed red and then warped.

I spent 15 minutes failing to drill a hole. Borrowed a SDS drill and drilled the hole in about 10 seconds. I then purchased a SDS drill and haven't looked back.

I used to have the Titan drill. I purchased it to dig out some concrete. Pricewise it did what it was supposed to, and more (and then died). No complaints but yeah, heavy.

If given the option of using an SDS drill or a cordless hammer drill, I would never use the latter unless stuck up a ladder.

Not only is the SDS more efficient, the better quality drill bits are (potentially) vastly superior to anything available in the hammer drill range. By way of an example, I have a couple sets of the Makita Nemesis SDS bits. Those things will go through reinforcing bars in concrete lintels, whereas a standard SDS drill is likely to lose its tip. The head has a cross section- meaning it is more likely to drill a truer hole and remove waste material more quickly.

If I had lots of holes to drill in to masonry, away from a power supply, I would consider a cordless SDS, but if you need a circular saw, get that and use an extension lead for your SDS.

Check out the newer 4 flute drill bits though. Makita, Milwaukie, etc. £20 ish for vastly superior drill bits. Well worth the money.

Would a decent cordless makita combi drill (I've got a few makita tools/batteries) with some good bits work in hard bricks? My bosch is on its last legs and needs replacing, and I don't want another sds if I can help it.

No contest - SDS every time. Get one with variable speed, slow will mean more gentle hammer.

No contest - SDS every time. Get one with variable speed, slow will mean more gentle hammer.

I have only ever owned three SDS drills, isn't the speed regulated by the trigger? By that, I mean, there wasn't a slow/fast dial/switch on either of them.

I have three SDS - A very early mains unit, which only has on/off - a real beast of a unit. A later mains drill has a preset variable speed, on the trigger. Then a battery SDS, with basic variable speed on the trigger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back