after new hammer drill- few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am after a drill for DIY. Mostly for drilling in bricks for curtains, shelves etc. I earlier had a 12v cordless which was rubbish, especially as thr bricks in our house seem particularly tough. So i bought a bosch green range corded sds which works very well on very few occassions i used it. It was probably overkill to buy sds but i got it for about £50 from a local shop.

But obviously sds is quite heavy and a bit big. So am after a decent hammer drill. Budget around £125. May stretch a little if a really good drill is available. I know corded will be cheaper than cordless.

Questions are

1. How do i compare power of corded and cordless dill.
2. If anyone uses corded regularly,does the cord really become a nuisance!
3. Any recommendations for drill and drill bits ? I have makita 101 accessories kit.not sure how good that is. So will probably get w drill set as well. In particular would appreciate ifa any ones whuch are slightly lighter in weight so my dad who has arthritis can use it occasionally

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cordless drills are feeble, corded ones are not.

No.

Unlike cordless with batteries that require constant recharging, batteries which suddenly fail and can't be charged any more, batteries which expire just before the final hole is drilled, battery chargers which decide they won't charge the battery despite indicator lights on the front claiming they are doing so, batteries which cost more to buy individually than an entire drill with two batteries and a charger.

3. Any recommendations for drill and drill bits ? I have makita 101 accessories kit.not sure how good that is. So will probably get w drill set as well. In particular would appreciate ifa any ones whuch are slightly lighter in weight so my dad who has arthritis can use it occasionally
Sets are generally useless, as 99% of it will be items no one ever uses.
Buy drill bits individually, for general fixings you only need a couple of sizes.

Sponsored Links
Cordless drills are feeble, corded ones are not.

No.

Unlike cordless with batteries that require constant recharging, batteries which suddenly fail and can't be charged any more, batteries which expire just before the final hole is drilled, battery chargers which decide they won't charge the battery despite indicator lights on the front claiming they are doing so, batteries which cost more to buy individually than an entire drill with two batteries and a charger.

Buy drill bits individually, for general fixings you only need a couple of sizes.

Thanks

Agreed, a 6mm and a 7mm drill are usually all thats required for most tasks.

well you already own 1 of the best,so why buy something else that will only get used occasionally??.
you will be using your new drill,then your realize perhaps i need to use the bosch 1 instead :rolleyes: ,invest your dosh in a decent combi battery drill and the only things you really wont be able to drill out will be for coring. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back