Drill for 4" core drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ocassionally in my job i need to drill a 4" core through walls for vents etc. If i were doing 3 or 4 a week i would just go out and get a name brand diamond core drill...but for me it might be one every few months.

For those that drill cores regularly would you say a cheaper make drill such as this - http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=421422 would do the job ok?

At the moment 99% of the drilling i do is with an 18v Li-Ion De-Walt cordless (Council property maintainance) but now and then a corded hammer drill would be handy for jobs that need lots of drilling and justifies running cables out etc.

By the way, as the cordless is obviously not SDS all my masonery drills are straight shank, therefore a chuck key corded drill is my preference over an SDS.

Sponsored Links
With a 4" core drill you need a drill with a clutch. You are liable to break your wrist if the core bit jams otherwise.

If the council H&S catch you core drilling with the wrong sort of drill they are liable to chuck you off site.

Sorry it doesn't matter how infrequently you use cores, you must always use a proper core drill.

If you don't use one very often then just hire it when you require one.

Me and my mate bought one between us.

That homebase drill is unlikely to last for one hole. My battery SDS drill is more powerful than that and will not do core drilling.

Point taken on both counts, although as i work direct for the council and we are asked to provide our own tools (cost saving) i'm looking for a 'safe to use' but affordable unit for the job that in truth i rarely need to do.

Edit,

Having re thought the matter and further to the good comments above, i'm looking at specific diamond core drills (Makita)....but for gods sake dont say they are no good for normal drilling.....we aren't paid enough to have a dozen different units at 300 quid a pop...

Sponsored Links
Further to last post, i was in one of the merchants today and spoke to the manager who offered me this Makita...
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380439346266?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla
exactly the same as the eBay listing (inc chuck, 3 packs of SDS drills and spade attachment) for £160.00 which includes the VAT. It's the display model end of line apparently.

I asked the manager to check with the Makita rep to see if it will handle the core drill ok, still awaiting a reply.

Thoughts on suitability?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That should about cope with a 4" core, and it has a clutch. Don't try and go bigger, though.

Point taken on both counts, although as i work direct for the council and we are asked to provide our own tools (cost saving) i'm looking for a 'safe to use' but affordable unit for the job that in truth i rarely need to do.

Edit,

Having re thought the matter and further to the good comments above, i'm looking at specific diamond core drills (Makita)....but for gods sake dont say they are no good for normal drilling.....we aren't paid enough to have a dozen different units at 300 quid a pop...

what's your job title .I cant understand why the wages are that bad you cant invest in your toolkit

what's your job title .I cant understand why the wages are that bad you cant invest in your toolkit

First, what relevence is that to my post?

Second, my 'toolkit' currently being dragged around with me in the van would cost a minimum of £1500 to replace, never mind the stuff that's not in the van everyday.

Third, 2 months ago i 'invested' £325.00 in De-Walt 18v Li-Ion cordless gear and before parting with the dosh i got some excellent advice from the folks here.

Now i'm not sure if you guys down Sussex way walk around with tenners falling out of your pockets, but up here in the grim North every pound has to work figgin hard.

I carry out basic maintainance on council houses, standard 37 hour week, no overtime, no Saturday work. It's not glamourous, half the time i have my hand down a drain cleaning someone elses muck out.....but it's a job and in this day and age a wage is what a family man like me needs.

So, sorry for asking advice here on the best quality tool at the best price to do a job as professionally as i can. For me the days of working for a boss who supplied the tools as required and bunged another grand on the job to cover it are gone.

My 'wages' however good or bad fella, have to cover many things, not just 'investing' in my tool kit.

empathy with a fellow tradesman, this site is wide open to all observations not just tool talk I must have pushed your your paranoia button

Bit of an over reaction on my part :oops: just trying to work as professionally as poss within a safe working tool budget

Bit of an over reaction on my part :oops: just trying to work as professionally as poss within a safe working tool budget

hey were all getting stressed out these days ,the north south gap is closing you know things are getting a bit ribby down here too.

Further to last post, i was in one of the merchants today and spoke to the manager who offered me this Makita...
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380439346266?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla
exactly the same as the eBay listing (inc chuck, 3 packs of SDS drills and spade attachment) for £160.00 which includes the VAT. It's the display model end of line apparently.

I asked the manager to check with the Makita rep to see if it will handle the core drill ok, still awaiting a reply.

Thoughts on suitability?
without any doubt - it is NOT suitable for cores of 3" let alone 4"
buy a "proper" dry diamond drill such as the makita 8406 , may cost a bit more but it will do the job and effieciently and safely

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Fair enough, the point of asking the question here is to avoid buying the wrong unit be it Makita or other brand.

Just one other question, what exactly is the reason 'other' drills can't cope with a core on the end of them? Not having a clutch has already been mentioned but there must be some other big reason for needing a particular drill to drill cores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back