What drill to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gentlemen

i,m looking to replace my old drills not sure if i should bye something like a makita BHR261RDE 36V cordless or 18v cordless plus corded sds

Will be used for drilling joist,fitting back boxes and drilling for extractor fans. Things would just be easier with one drill for all and no cords
what would you recommend
cheers

Sponsored Links
You'd be better with a right angle drill for drilling joists. I can't see a battery drill having enough life for drilling out a core for a fan either.

Sponsored Links
Almost having broken wrists is not funny either. I was using a drill that I thought had a safety clutch but it either didn't or was faulty. Anyway I was using a fairly large core drill drilling into a concrete block. When the bloomin thing locked all I could do was jump away. From then on made sure I used core drills with a drill with a safety clutch unless it was a fairly small core drill.

Core drill packaging really should state this requirement.

thats why i thought the makita BHR261RDE 36V would be good it has a clutch

You will never get a battery drill that is powerful enough for coring.

Not only will it wreck your very expensive drill, but it'll have drained all your batteries before you're even through the first skin.

The drill you link to is proper expensive. I'd bee looking more like the £3-400 mark, and maybe buy a proper corer drill, or even just hire one as and when you need one if you don't do that much coring.

yer cheapest i found it was £568 but it does say you can core drill with it
but for how long who knows

You won't get a battery drill to do 100mm cores for extractor fans, my Bosch 36v is max rated at 68mm cores and I can't see the Makita being all that much different. Also, the Makita 36v range is relatively new to the market...after the issues Makita had with their other Li-ion batteries when they first came out I'd be inclined to wait a while and see whether anything crops up if you want to go the Makita route.

By all means get a cordless SDS, I'd happily recommend the Bosch 36v, but don't expect it to drive your cores, you'll be much better off with a dedicated core drill that's rated for the job. Similarly a cordless angle drill generally isn't much cop with joist drilling, Makita make good angle drills...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back