What Drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for a cordless sds hammer drill, and also a diamond core drill for extractor fans, anybody know of a drill that would do both jobs?

Sponsored Links
I'll be very happy to be corrected, but I don't think you'll find (certainly mainstream) cordless technology is capable of Diamond core drilling yet.

I still carry an SDS 110v drill for the repetitive tasks, and the more power-zapping.

Other than that, I have a 24v Dewalt - 5yr old a going as strong as ever.

Us it every day.

Bosch & makita do some cordless Lithium battery SDS drills - not sure if they'd cope with Diamond or TCT cores of 100mm plus though. I think Bosch do "claim" that their Li SDS drill is as powerful as a mains drill - and I think they have fast recharge times and no memory effect.

Sponsored Links
bosch do a 1000w job which is for use with diamond cores (gsb22-2 i think) which you should be able to get for less than £180.
The makita 8406 is far better for the job but will cost £100 or so more. Goping by previous experience with hitachi - dont touch it with a barge pole.
The bosch 36v may cope with small cores but not more than 65mm i would think - and its a hell of a lot dearer

one question to all - why the fixation with screwfix ??? any decent local dealer should be able to match or beat their price .

here, here to the 8406 from makita. Ive had mine for three years and bought it with a 5 piece diamond core set. the drill was around £340 and the core set from marcrist about £120. Core sizes are 32mm 40mm 50mm 100mm and 110mm, come with standard and SDS long and short shafts. Basically its the Mutz Nutz. I use it daily for boiler flues bathrooms kitchens etc. Only nuisance with it is, i should have paid more and got the SDS version.

Happy Coring :LOL: :LOL: :D :LOL:

superskanker said:
Only nuisance with it is, i should have paid more and got the SDS version.
:
you'd have a job - there isnt a sds version
sds arn't really up to the job of core drilling , bit short of power and the clutch kicks in too late

i will hardley be using mine at all,
seaangler, being looking for that £180 bosch, any more info?

Strictly as a DIY'er I love my makita 84444D, it's even made in the UK (Hmm).

JackTheCat said:
i will hardley be using mine at all,
seaangler, being looking for that £180 bosch, any more info?

If you're hardly be going to use it, wouldn't hiring / borrowing one be more practical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back