Corded drill for DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a corded drill for everyday diy use.

I've refurbished my house and I'm planning to do lots of minor jobs myself. Like laying the wood flooring, skirting boards and lots of other bits and bobs. For some of these jobs I need a drill.

I'm not sure whether to for normal corded drill or an SDS one? My budget is around £50-£60?
The reason I'm specifically after the corded one is because I already have a cordless 14.4V drill and its doing great job as a screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply mate. I bought a B&D normal drill from Argos but I haven't used it so I'm thinking of returning that one and getting the below one.
After reading some posts here I know most of the guys here don't rate BD very well. But I could get 3 years extended warranty for less than a tenner so I think that would give me peace of mind. What you guys think of the one below?

If I buy an adapter, would I be able to use normal drill bits for light jobs? If so what that adapter is called and would I be able to buy it from DIY stores like B&Q, Wickes etc..?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ools|10198964/c_3/3|cat_10198964|Power+drills
|10198972/Trail/searchtext%3EBLACK+AND+DECKER.htm

As Bilioustrumpstaine said its best to get an SDS drill. Personally I would avoid the B&D why pay a tenner for an extended warranty? just buy a product that you shouldn't need you to purchase or even use an extended warranty with. You can pick up a Ryobi for about £68 quid and a dewalt for just under £90 quid.

Another selection of SDS + Hammer drills here at better prices: http://www.pentagondirect.com/tools-and-diy/power-tools/hammers-drills-sds-drills?b=&s=low

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies and recommendations guys.
Isn't BD one better though? Because its 1000watt whereas the Makita one is only 440watt and BD is costing me less as well even when I add up the extra warranty from Argos?

I would rather have a lower spec makita than a B&D but that is just my preference. If your budget will stretch to about £100 you will get a 700-800w makita no probs.

I have a couple of makita drills that are over 25 yrs old and they are still going strong. :cool:

i've got a few drills. nearly all dirt cheap and they all work fine. a drill is one of those things that are so common there is a lot of competition and even
the cheap ones are ok in my opinion.

SDS is the way to go - no more bit undoing itself, and the power you get is much better. you can get a chuck cheaply to fit twist drills for woodworking etc; if that is what you were asking about an adapter

i recently bought a nice makita one for £80. it only weighs 1.7 kg so will be doing most of the jobs that my 6kg hammer did before. that will be just for demolition and chiselling work now.

power in watts isn't the only way to judge the useful power - they have specs like impact force, blows per second etc; a good brand will probably produce more useful power with less watts, and in a smaller and lighter package.

Just wanted to share my first experience with an SDS drill. Bought the B&D one against all the advise I got from here. The only reason I went for that was the price difference. Got 3 years warranty so at least got some peace of mind.
Drilled few holes in the concrete to put up the blinds and boys was I impressed! I remember the last time I did similar holes with the normal drill, I was sweating and my arms had pretty much given up. But yesterday it was like drilling holes in a wood!
I don't think I'll ever use a normal drill every again :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back