Old style outside light fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove the cover of an outside light (bulkhead type) but the fixings are not your normal cross head or slotted screw type. They are both about 1/2 inch in diameter with two small slots either side, and it looks like there was a special tool (like a two pronged fork, maybe?) to unscrew them. I have tried various combinations of pliers and screwdrivers, but no joy.

As they are old I can't find a supplier who sells the old tool.

Any ideas? :idea:

Sponsored Links
if you have an old screwdriver, grind a bit out the middle to make a tool that fits. or take a hammer to it

I was working on one of these today too! I used a pair of side cutters without too much trouble and those should work for you provided the screws are'nt too tight in the first place. Once you get it off it might be a good idea to swap the fitting for a more accessable one.

Hmm - the slots are a bit too far apart for the screwdriver option and I was intending to keep the light fitting, but I guess the hammer would be the last resort!

Sponsored Links
get us a photo with some kind of scale indicator (ie a ruler)

Assuming you've not already smashed it off in disgust... and assuming I'm visualizing the right model, here goes.

You will probably have to fashion a key, and yes you are right a sort of fork is what is required. The originals looked like a half washer, with the centre half hole clearing the 'pip' A little file work on a strip of steel of width to fit the slots is in order. Vice, hacksaw, file and patience are required. If you want to hardned the tool after filing to stop it flexing heat it to cherry red and drop it in to water. (conversely if its too hard to file, heat it and let it cool very slowly.)

If its what I think, you (sorry the lamp) will have an aluminium alloy body, probably LM10 or similar (don't worry about that, its aluminium/magnesium with a little silicon to stiffen it. ) The problem is that what was finger tight to squash the gasket when installed is now well and truly corroded in. You may find it worthwhile to WD40 the threads the day before you have to open it.

If it still won't turn, the other option is to centre punch and drill the head off the bolt. The thread will be something common like 2BA or M5 depending on the era, and a normal bolt can be substituted (or even drill right though and re-fit with a bolt and a wing nut outside if the fitting is a special type that must be preserved..), though either grease it or use stainless steel of the problem is not to recur.

In desperation I have welded a conventional bolt onto the top of proprietary fasteners in the past, but its very much kill or cure.

Of course if you can get the screw out then 5 mins with the hacksaw makes it suited to a normal screw driver next time, and grease it before it goes back!.

Hope that is relevant
M.

I had the same screws on my bulkhead. I removed them using a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Place the blade of the screwdriver in one of the slots and gently tap it with the hammer so that the screw is forced to rotate (place the screwdriver so the blade is always perpendicular to the circumference - or square to the outside in normal speak). Take care and have patience. Eventually the screw will loosen enough so that you can complete the removal by hand.

Thanks everyone - some helpful tips there - I'd not thought about the sidecutter option. I'll have a bash (!) although I'm realising that if it proves a pain the the butt, it may be easier to replace the light fitting anyway......
SB :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back