Replacement LED downlights for old r80 type outdoor soffit lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just moved to a new pad & outside above the garage door there are 3x old downlights fitted into the wooden soffit.
The lights are brass and although sheltered by the eaves do not appear to be IP rated and have r80 type incandescent bulbs.

I would like to replace these with some black LED downlight fittings but the diameter of the old lights is 5" & I can't find any IP65/66 lights of this size?

I have not yet tried to remove any so don't know the exact cut out size.

Could anyone point me in the right direction or offer a solution?

Sponsored Links
Black may be difficult.
There is at least a couple of options
Adapters are made in certain sizes
Or there s Round panels in white, though i guess you can paint them

shopping
shopping

Thanks Rocky, I don't really want to paint the white plastic type. Thought someone may have encountered this issue before?

Sponsored Links
In the main LED lamp produce 75 to 100 lumen per watt, under that we consider them to be decreative rather than ilumating. To my mind if the lamp does declare lumens as required then likely they are decreative.

What state are the lights in?

Do they need replacing or do you just want black and LEDs?

Could you spray the brass ring black and put LED bulbs in?

Sureitsoff: Thanks for that, I'll check existing cut out & may order some. I am a bit put off by Chinese stuff though. I was hoping TLC or Screwfix would offer something but nowt suitable as a straight swap.

ericmark: Decorative is fine for this situation.

Captain: My first thought but one isn't working & they are pretty grotty. Ingress of water is also an issue with the existing units so would rather replace them & be safe.

I thought these 5" diameter downlights were pretty standard & common until I started looking for replacements! How wrong I was!
Anyone else got any ideas?

You can get 120mm hole converter plates from Knightsbridge which may be suitable, but not in black.

Or maybe look for 200mm IP downlights from aurora.

I may reboard the soffit as a last resort but that's time & effort that's not needed as it is in good nick. Just wanted to swap these lights for same size units really.

I don't want to paint anything white plastic to black, I did find some black converter plates last night on Fleabay though.

I have seen the Aurora flat panel lights & they look like what I'm after. I'll check cut out size & probably order those, preferably without the converter plates.

I don't want white soffits, fascias or lights!

Thanks for all your ideas.

Hmmmm, I can't find the Aurora lights in black either now!
Maybe I got mixed up with these from OceanLighting:
Astro 5793 Minima Fixed 1 Light Downlight Black IP65
I'd need to fit some black converter plates but I like the look & price! Also like being able to change the bulbs.
Not sure if you are allowed to add real links on here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back