Outside Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 outside garden lights mains wired to an RCD. I have had the lights for a number of years and occasionaly the RCD trips and usually this is caused by damp or condensation which is easily fixed.
The RCD tripped a couple of days ago and I set to fixing the problem today. I tested the lights first and the RCD tripped. I checked all the lights and found the problem (damp) dried everything and tried again, the RCD did not trip, succcess!.......No! The lights did not come on. I checked the plug fuse, fine. Using a screwdriver type tester I tested there was power at connectors at the lamps, yes. I finally tested the power at the bulb connector (bayonet) yes. Now I am really baffled, power but no lights and yes, I did check the bulb!
Any help would be much appreciated as I am stumped on this one.....and in the dark.

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like a lost neutral somewhere if you have got a live at the lights
check all the connections to make sure there are no loose connections

G.T.S:cool:

I suggest you put your "tester" screwdriver in one of these

images

and buy your self a multimeter, as you have found out they are not a lot of use

Thank you for your suggestion Gaz, I will check all the connections, as soon as the rain stops! Breezer, I am sorry my screwdriver does not meet with your approval but I am obviously not as tecnically minded as you, that is why I am asking my question on this forum and I appreciate constructive input as from Gaz. One other thing, I was getting a power indication (on my crappy screwdriver) from the positive and negative, is this normal?

Sponsored Links
ivormills,

not having a go mate but what breezer said about the screwdriver is correct. as a testing tool they are useless. bin it and buy a digital multimeter for about a tenner.

youl have much more joy when trying to diagnose faults with this.

Ok I will get one now........but I might be back to ask you how to use it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back