Steinel spot one led problem

Yes but do not know if it it covers both, it's red and is a bg cusw100, i have put that as not sure links are allowed.
Rocky's point was a good one - some RCDs have to be pushed down pretty firmly before one can push them back up to reset the. However, if that's not the case with yours ...

As EFLI has said, if there is a Main Switch (as well as 2 RCDs) the whole point is that represents a 'single point of isolation' (as required by regulations) which will kill the whole CU (i.e. both RCDs).

However, the first thing to do involves no risk. Just switch off the Main Switch and see if you can then re-set the RCD. If you can't, then that essentially means that it is 'mechanically knackered', and clearly needs to be replaced.

If that is the situation then, for those adequately competent and careful (and comfortable), replacing an RCD would normally be done with just that Main Switch switched off (followed by checks that everything really was 'dead') - the only thing 'live' within the CU will then be the incoming cables to the main switch.

Anyway, let us know whether you can reset the RCD with the Main Switch off, and we can then take it from there.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Unbelievable, As the rcd that would not reset is next to the main switch i thought give it one more try before turning the lot off and it reset! I will pop down to Screwfix and pick up another rcd and replace Tuesday and advise the outcome although i am still in the naughty cupboard as far as Mrs Ptarmigan is concerned,I cannot thank you all enough and will get back to you next week.

Unbelievable, As the rcd that would not reset is next to the main switch i thought give it one more try before turning the lot off and it reset! I will pop down to Screwfix and pick up another rcd and replace Tuesday and advise the outcome although i am still in the naughty cupboard as far as Mrs Ptarmigan is concerned, I cannot thank you all enough and will get back to you next week.
I would imagine/hope that you've moved a bit out of her naughty cupboard by managing to reset the RCD!

Don't forget that, even with the Main Switch 'off', there will still be 'some electricity' inside the CU in the form of the incoming cables to the Main Switch and their connections to the switch. You also should confirm that everything really is 'dead' (even though you've switched off the Main Switch) before touching anything. If you don't already have any appropriate means of doing that (and a 'neon screwdriver' on 'non-contact voltage tester' is not adequate for that), you should really add something appropriate to your Screwfix shopping list (people here can advise you, if you're not sure what is needed).

I hope it all goes well.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, I have a dmm and if it gets serious i will dig the Avo8 out.

Sponsored Links
Arh well have to put away tonights romantic lighting.
DSCF5174.JPG

Thanks John, I have a dmm and if it gets serious i will dig the Avo8 out.
Fair enough.

Before you 'touch anything', make sure that there is no significant voltage between the L & N of the incoming supply (usually at the top) to the RCD, and also between each of the L & N and earth.

Given it's high input impedance, your DMM (but not Avo 8 ) might possibly show some very small voltages, but that's nothing to worry about.

Kind Regards, John

Unbelievable, As the rcd that would not reset is next to the main switch i thought give it one more try before turning the lot off and it reset! I will pop down to Screwfix and pick up another rcd and replace Tuesday and advise the outcome although i am still in the naughty cupboard as far as Mrs Ptarmigan is concerned,I cannot thank you all enough and will get back to you next week.
Before you rip out the old one, you may want to confirm somehow the screwfix one is compatible with your board,
as yours fits onto the busbar its essential that its the same

Last edited:
The Screwfix one has what looks like a part No that is the same as the ones i have fitted, British General cur6330.

Update, Well somewhat late but i fitted a new rcd and bingo it works although the sparks may have had to extend the wiring to reach the rcd as it is single 1.5 where the original is the stranded t and e.
One thing i noticed was that the old rcd would not reset/latch out of the cu but gave it a couple of light taps and now it does so sounds like a mechanical problem with it rather that electrical, Once again Thank You to all for the help and advice.

Thanks for taking the time, however your Update seems confusing:)
I assumed you had issues with a 63 amp Rcd, I would not expect to see T+E cable connected to it and certainly not as small as 1.5mm, not even sure if 1.5mm STRANDED was ever made.

My bad, The mcb has the 1/1.5 in it which i checked was terminated properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back