Weird flickering light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had two fluorescent lamps in my garage, over 15 years old, wired to the same switch.
I replaced one of them with a more modern unit, but this developed a problem, so in the end I replaced it with a 60w bulkhead incandescent lamp.
That was great at first, but then the remaining strip lamp started having trouble starting up, often taking 30 seconds or so.
I put up with this, as in the winter I don't go in my garage very often!
But now the bulkhead light has started behaving oddly. Sometimes it flickers (in sympathy with the strip lamp!) and sometimes it too takes a while before it comes on.
My first thoughts were perhaps its to do with the ballast in the strip lamp?
Do you think if I replaced the remaining strip lamp the problem should disappear?
Any ideas? :?:

Sponsored Links
I assume they are both on the same switch?
First places to look at are, at the fittings and switch and any other junctions in the circuit, for loose connections.

Do you think if I replaced the remaining strip lamp the problem should disappear? Any ideas? :?:
If you could temporarily and safely disconnect the strip lamp (or even just take the tube out of it), you would discover whether the other light light then behaves normally.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I had two fluorescent lamps in my garage, over 15 years old, wired to the same switch.
I replaced one of them with a more modern unit, but this developed a problem, so in the end I replaced it with a 60w bulkhead incandescent lamp.
That was great at first, but then the remaining strip lamp started having trouble starting up, often taking 30 seconds or so.
I put up with this, as in the winter I don't go in my garage very often!
But now the bulkhead light has started behaving oddly. Sometimes it flickers (in sympathy with the strip lamp!) and sometimes it too takes a while before it comes on.
My first thoughts were perhaps its to do with the ballast in the strip lamp?
Do you think if I replaced the remaining strip lamp the problem should disappear?
Any ideas? :?:

Try the starter first
could also be the tube itself failing where the Argon gas has dropped to much.
To be honest if its a ballast or capacitor you may as well get a new fitting complete with new tube, less hassle for you and all new.

Loose connection needs to be ruled out though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back