replacing a bulkhead light with a pir 150w security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

A straight forward question here I hope..... can I replace an old exterior bulkhead lamp on my garage wall with a new 150 watt pir security light and use the existing cable that is in place running to the bulkhead lamp rather than fit new?

Some background info.... The garage has power running to it and a year ago I had an electrician fit an rcd consumer unit in there to replace the ancient set up along with replacing all the old switches. The garage had 2 interior strip lights, one exterior bulkhead lamp and 1 exterior security lamp. Each exterior light has its own switch but the 2 interior strip lights are operated by 1 switch.
He replaced the old round section white cables that ran to the 2 existing interior strip lights with flattish grey cable and replaced the security light entirely, running power to it with flat grey cable.

The old bulkhead light has been left with the original round section white cable and it is this lamp Im thinking about replacing with a security lamp. I call it an old lamp because the domed lens is thick glass and the body is made of metal. Plus it looks as if its been on the wall for decades.

Can I just turn off the mains and remove the bulkhead lamp and replace it with the security lamp or is the cable not suitable?
Is this a job for an electrician? If it is Ill leave it alone.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
davidafield

Sponsored Links
If the cable is in good condition i dont see why you cant do a straight swap. The pir will not draw that much current.JUST MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back