Can I run 2 external halogens on on one light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
My house extension has an ouside 100W bulkhead light fed from a light switch just inside the back door, but I would like to remove the bulkhead lamp and fit a PIR activated Halogen lamp in it's place and then run a cable to another PIR Halogen about 5 metres away.
Is it safe to run 2 halogens on the lighting circuit and have a cable ran between them ?

Sponsored Links
Er. 1000W of tungsten halogen load on a lighting circuit.

How many lampholders are on the circuit already? 10?

Let's say 1000W already.

1000+1000= 2000.

5A device= 1150W

6A device= 1380W

Run then from an adjacent ring, or run a new radial for them both.

And don't forget Part P...

I was thinking of only a pair of small ones, about 100W - 200W each. I don't think that you can run the 1kw ones through a PIR.

muffking said:
I don't think that you can run the 1kw ones through a PIR.

anything's possible ;) PIRs mostly have a switching capacity of 2000w IIRC. And if you use a contactor (fancy relay), you could switch infinite load!

Sponsored Links
well you can't put two 500W halogens on a 6A cuircuit that has much else on it and you will probablly have problems if you have 1000W of halogens switching together on thier own on a B6 (due to the switch on surge).

with a couple of 150W ones you should be ok with provided the lighting cuircuit isn't close to the line already

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back