Wiring a halogen pir using existing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I wire up a halogen pir please, which I would like to put in place of the external bulkhead light fitted outside the back door of the kitchen.

I haven't opened up the original light fitting to check how it is wired, as I haven't bought the pir yet, but there is a 2.5mm twin and earth and a separate thinner cable going into it from a switch inside the kitchen back door. I assume this thinner cable is for switching the light on and off.

The light switch is a double and one side of it operates the the original bulkhead light and the other operates a kitchen ceiling light. The switches are entirely independent of each other!

In the instructions for the pir I am going to buy which I downloaded from the net, it states that there may be two red wires going into the original fitting and these should be joined together in a terminal block.

I would like to be 100% sure that I am wiring this new light up correctly so I don't blow the main fuse in the house or something stupid like that!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back