wiring up a pir for outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping to wire up a couple of bulkheads to a pir sensor on the front of my bungalow.
Just a couple of questions:

Can I wire these onto the existing lighting circuit? easy to do as its all on one level
and in the circuit, does the pir just take the place of the switch? so I can wire the 2 lights and pir back to a junction box in the loft.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, no i wouldn't, JBs have to be accessable

some pirs will stay on if you switch off the supply then on within a few seconds, hence no i wouldn't

The loft is accessible quite easily, I mean I would mount the JB next to the nearest ceiling rose, would that be ok?
Do you think it would be a good idea to have a standard switch included as an override to get round the issue of staying on?

Do you think it would be a good idea to have a standard switch included as an override to get round the issue of staying on?

Essential just for that reason, and also you or someone will need to turn them off in the future to replace the lamps, or when the PIR fails and they are on 24/7.

Sponsored Links
Rather than putting an extra jb in the loft, why not wire straight into the ceiling rose?

can I wire to an existing rose? would that mean using an existing room switch?

can I wire to an existing rose? would that mean using an existing room switch?

Well, where were you going to get the supply for the jb? You can check in your ceiling rose for permanent live cables (which don't go through the switch). Usually they are in the terminals marked 'loop', but not necessarily. They could be at the switch. Also, check how many lights/watts are already on the lighting circuit you intend to use.

Sorry you confused me a bit then! yes the live feed will come from an existing rose, there are currently 6 on the circuit.
My intention is to link to live feed through the switch as normal, then back to the JB, then link through to the pir as a secondary switch before going out to the lights, will that work?
Also can I go from any rose or do I have to find the last one in the circuit an connect there?
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back