How to wire PIR to my outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

So I've ordered a junction box to link up my two outside lights I've purchased. See photo attached.

Now I've also bought a PIR sensor.

What is the best way to wire it all up with the minimum of cables having to be routed everywhere.

Ideally I'd like to go from my Mains into the PIR, then out of the PIR, and into the junction box which feeds the two lights.

However looking at the PIR instructions it seems like I would need power to go into the PIR and also cables from the lights into the PIR. This will make it very hard to get all the cables in.

Is there a simpler way?

Thankyou.

Attachments

• 1133whi.jpg
    1133whi.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 63
  • pir.JPG
    pir.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
So I've ordered a junction box to link up my two outside lights I've purchased. See photo attached. Now I've also bought a PIR sensor.
Ok.

What is the best way to wire it all up with the minimum of cables having to be routed everywhere.
Depends on the locations, doesn't it?

Ideally I'd like to go from my Mains into the PIR, then out of the PIR, and into the junction box which feeds the two lights.
Ok. No switch?

However looking at the PIR instructions it seems like I would need power to go into the PIR and also cables from the lights into the PIR.
Well, from the PIR to the lights - but isn't that what you said?

This will make it very hard to get all the cables in.
Why?

Is there a simpler way?
Don't think so. How else could it be done?

Thankyou for your reply.

There is currently a switch which served an old porch light. That light is no longer there and the mains I refer to is coming from the switch.

So if I get this right, my mains cable (from the switch) can go into the PIR's Live and Neutral. Then I just need the Neutral and Live from the junction box into the PIR too. The Live going into the A (RED) section?

There is currently a switch which served an old porch light. That light is no longer there and the mains I refer to is coming from the switch.
You might be lucky, but not all switches have a Neutral conductor present.
It might only be at the light position but then you can take the cable from there.

So if I get this right, my mains cable (from the switch) can go into the PIR's Live and Neutral.
Yes. If there is a Neutral.

Then I just need the Neutral and Live from the junction box into the PIR too.
From the PIR to the junction box. Yes.

The Live going into the A (RED) section?
Yes, if that is the switched output of the PIR.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for helping me make sense of this. I will give it a go later this week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back