Exterior lamp issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit confused by the problems re the fitting of an exterior bulkhead light. It is this model – a basic polycarbonate item replacing an old Appleby metal version which appears to have stop working recently (maybe through corrosion?) Anyway it has been quite difficult to fit as it the system of six security lamps are connected by armoured cable. Eventually having got the lamp secured and connected it failed to work thought the rest of the circuit works fine. I put the multi-meter on the terminals and the 500v ~ reading switched from 19v to 80v and then back again. On the 200 v ~ it shows a constant 71v. This is all a bit perplexing but I wonder if there is some likelihood of damp having penetrated the armoured cable. Does this sound possible?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Where are you measuring these voltages? Between which terminals? Are you using a digital multimeter?

Sounds like capacitive coupling. Something somewhere in the system is disconnected.
If you're using a digital multimeter, its input impedance is very high and can give misleading results.

Sponsored Links
If it is in a run of fittings, are you sure you have good continuity between the IN and OUT conductors?

Or is there just one pair at the lamp holder and a JB outside the fitting?

I hope you have maintained the earthing of the cables armour now the light fitting is plastic. Some photos of the connections could be useful. As the rest work is this the last light in the set of 6?

I'm interested to know what makes this fitting 'energy efficient' as it is advertised, when it takes a 60W lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back