Wiring a New LED Security Lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today's conundrum.

I have a 21 year old 120W security light that's finally packed up after great service.

Bought a new LED one with motion detection. This came with about 4' of flex, three cores, live neutral earth. The one coming off the wall is powered by 3 core + earth, and this is perplexing me. I've had to change all of the others before now, and not come across this (or have had back panels you open and swop cables like for like.

I'm used to motion sensor on and off; and a switch overide on and off. I wonder if that is what the extra cable is for?

I haven't cut any cables, thought I'd connect it unmounted, see if it works. If the three cores in the house cables are connected to the flex (without the earth), it's on permanently. If the yellow from the house is left out and the earth connected, the motion detector lights the lamp, but the house switch is not effective.

Anyhow, How do I make 4 into 3? Any great ideas accepted. Ta.

CG

Sponsored Links
It depends how it works.

If you can't get inside then you can only wire it Permanent Line, Neutral and Earth with the switch left ON.
Switch OFF and it's dead.

Some have a feature where you can switch Off and on twice quickly and the light will stay on until switched off.
Then wait a while, switch on, light will stay on for set time and then it reverts to detection.

There should have been instructions with it.

It depends how it works.

Switch OFF and it's dead.

There should have been instructions with it.

The detection works fine. With the switch OFF (or ON)! No instructions. TBH, It's a safety light more than a security light, so I can live with detection only.

Cheers.

CG

Sponsored Links
To clarify... Yes instructions, none that covered wiring, save to say it should be done safely. All the instructions were about siting and adjusting the unit.

So, the switch is not doing anything.

You could rewire the light using the other line conductor - the one controlled by the switch - if you want.

It would be better to do it at the light as you would have to alter several wires at the switch.

It will be the wire that you haven't used at the light - swap it for the live(line) - assuming you have done it correctly which you must have done as it works.

This, of course, assumes that the switch was wired to work before.
It will be the wire which goes through - i.e. is connected to - the switch.

EFLI, spot on advice, ta. I now have a motion detector lamp which works; and is 'switchoffable' at the switch. Cheers!

And I managed to pull the cables into the little loft above the back door, so no weatherproofing needed. (But the git who fitted the cable offset it about 8" between inside and outside skins!)

Finally, an 8W equivalent lamp is brill!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back