Plinth Heater Pipe Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We are about to have a new kitchen, and in prep with some other plumbing work we asked our plumber to put in new pipes to the kitchen for a Plinth Heater and Small Towel Rail.

I showed the plumber the tech specs for the plinth heater and he has seen the towel rail as we had already bought it. The kitchen fitter says the Plinth Heater needs to be on 15mm pipe, but the plumber has installed 10mm and says this will be OK.

I have seen some discussion of people using them without problem on 10mm pipe, the plumber says there is no room in our system for 15mm pipe (Its a new combi boiler). He has fed the 10mm by Teeing off a 15mm feed that goes to 2 bedrooms from near the manifold. There is a spare connection on the manifold that he was going to use, but says he can't get a fitting for it (it is fairly old, I presume imperial size).

I don't want to get it all finished and it be useless, it concerns me that there is effectively now 4 radiators from 15mm pipe out of the manifold.

This is the plinth heater:
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Myson_600H_Kickspace_Fan_Convectors.html

Towel rail:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/kudox-tim...-x-500mm-202w-689btu/80212?_requestid=1780010

Would appreciate any suggestions, I really don't want to get the kitchen installed and finished and find the heater to be useless.

Plumber has always been spot on before, but conflicting opinions, coupled with advice on the internet have got me worried.

Sponsored Links
It might work but, from the installation instructions, The minimum pipe size from boiler to fan convector must be at least 15mm. Microbore pipe MUST NOT be used. I'd be following the manufacturer's instructions.

I have a Smiths plinth heater and it is connected to 10mm pipe on an existing 35 year old microbore system and it worked for nearly 10 years so if micro bore can heat a rad ok it should be ok for plinth heater.

The minimum pipe size from boiler to fan convector must be at least 15mm. Microbore pipe MUST NOT be used.

That's what I read.

But Plumber says its OK, and he cannot connect 15mm to our system (not sure why, upstairs Rads that he has Teed off are 15mm, the Manifold is fed by 22mm from the new combi).

Although other posts on here suggest that 10mm is fine.

Sponsored Links
Think about your warranty ......

If they have to come out to it they will get straight back in the van and your warranty will be void.

It's their get-out clause.

Be careful !

Just a thought !!!!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions, especially on a Sunday!

As 15mm pipe leaves the manifold, and then Tees off two 2 upstairs single radiators, and then to the kitchen for this plinth heater and small towel rad, how does this effect things? Too many rads on the pipe? Or will we be OK if its all on 15mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back