Connecting two plinth heaters to an existing radiator TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radiator in my kitchen with a TRV. I am putting in a new kitchen that will cover all the walls so i want to use plinth heaters. Can i plumb the two plinth heaters in using a T junction after the TRV and the return from each plinth heater joining at a T junction and going in to the old radiator return pipe?

Kind of like this:

--<TRV>--<T>---<PLINTH HEATER>----<T>------
\--<PLINTH HEATER>---/

Or does the TRV need to be taken out?

Any recomendations for quiet plinth heaters that switch on the fan when the heating is on?

Sponsored Links
Are you getting rid of the rad completely? If so then extend the flow pipe to one connection on the plinth heater and the return to the other. If you need to use 2 heaters (must be a big kitchen) then T off the flow and return individually to connect the other heater.

How big is your kitchen? Our's is 14' x 7' and one plinth heater is perfectly adequate. We used one from Wickes but google around and you will find others. Most have 2 fan speeds but we find 1st setting perfectly adequate and not too noisy.

Are you getting rid of the rad completely? If so then extend the flow pipe to one connection on the plinth heater and the return to the other. If you need to use 2 heaters (must be a big kitchen) then T off the flow and return individually to connect the other heater.

How big is your kitchen? Our's is 14' x 7' and one plinth heater is perfectly adequate. We used one from Wickes but google around and you will find others. Most have 2 fan speeds but we find 1st setting perfectly adequate and not too noisy.

Hi kbdiy, thank you your response.

Yes, I'll be getting rid of the existing rad as I'm putting in units against the wall. The room is a kitchen diner about 27' x 10' with a peninsula breakfast bar down the middle so one plinth heater will blow into the kitchen and the other into the dining area under the breakfast bar (should be quite cosy sitting at the breakfast bar).

Can I put the T in after the TRV or do I need to completely remove the TRV?

Do you remember what brand of heater yours is? These forums have a few recommendations for Smiths. Amazon seems to be quite a lot cheaper than any of the normal sources.

Get rid of the trv all togrther. But do use a lockshield on each plynth heater as a balancing valve. Though you could swap the trv head with a actuator controlled by a room stat in the kitchen. That way if the kitchen gets to warm, whilst cooking for example, the plynty heaters will shut down while the rest of the house goes on beind heated.
I fit the smiths heaters. They are good units.

Sponsored Links
Plinth heaters are excellent and such a pity they are so seldom used.

They mostly incorporate their own thermostat to turn off the fan if the CH water is too cool.

They need to be connected in parallel.

You can wire the electric supply in series with a room thermostat and also a timeclock if you want more control. Most have a basic thermostat though.

Tony

Thanks Rick, Tony.

Given the two heaters will be next to each other can I use the same (existing) lockshield rather than two separate ones and just open it wider?

I really like the idea of a remote sensor trv as I was concerned about the trv being under the cabinets and not capturing the room temperature, thank you.

Not sure I'd like the idea of the power being cut out to them to control temperature but than you for the suggestion.

Thanks also for the recommendation for the smiths, I can't find anyone saying anything negative about them so I'll go for those.

Looking forward to winter now...

I think you are missing how they work!

The heat output is controlled by the electric fan. That controls the heat output when its needed by a thermostat.

When the fan is off there is very little heat loss.

The flow through them needs to be set to give the appropriate temperature differential of 10-15 degrees when the fan is on depending on boiler type.

Tony

The fans are automatically turned on when heated water flows through the heater. I wouldn't look to cut power to the unit, but control weather or not the heater receives heated water.
They also work as just a fan in summer, so ideally want power all the time to allow you to use this feature.

I would plumb it with a TRV + actuator on the flow, T'd to each heater. I would use a locksheild valve on EACH heater, then T into the return. I would personally replace the existing valves while doing the work. For what they cost you may as well IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back