Plug get hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using an oil filled radiator. After it has been on for a while the plug feels warm. If I remove the plug and feel the pins, they are very hot. I have checked the wiring in the plug and it is OK. There is a 13amp fuse in the plug. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
Poor contact somewhere. If you've checked that the terminal screws are all tight, and the fuse is being firmly gripped, that leaves the socket.

Have you checked those cables?

If you plug the device in somewhere else, does it get hot then?

Is it a double socket with something else in use at the same time?

Is it an old socket? - Sometimes the contacts inside get tired, and the solution is a new socket.

assuming youve checked the clip is tight round the fuse all screws are tight

try plugging it in to a different socket to further narrow it down a bit
[you often get this on extensions due to poor construction]

Sponsored Links
Its plugged into an extension lead. Would that make a difference?

I checked the plug of the extension lead. That was also hot (and part of the wire coming from the plug). It had a moulded plug on it. I cut it off along with 8" of the wire, put a new plug on and it seems to have sorted the problem. Thanks to big_all and Ban All Sheds for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back