Plug in timer, switching on at dusk and off at fixed time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of lamps in the house on which I use a plug-in timer to turn on around dusk and off at (say) 11.30pm, but of course I have to regularly change the ON time as the time of dusk changes - quite frequently this time of year.

Presumably, this is not that unusual.

Does anyone make a plug-in timer on which one can set the ON time to vary like this (there used to be a crude mechanical device called a 'solar cam' in the good old days). It could operate by detecting dusk as long as the OFF time can be specified.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
One way is to have a timer and photocell in series. Timer switches the circuit on, but the photocell doesn't feed to the light until it gets dark, whenever that may be. The timer then opens the circuit at 11.30 (or whenever).

pj

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all.

Non plug-in is a lot more difficult for simple table lamps. Looks like a Timer PLUS Light sensitive switch maybe the only answer (thanks pj).

I still find it surprising nobody does something quite like I want - it seems a pretty standard security option - the odd lamp or two around the house coming on automatically at dusk and going off at 'bedtime'.

You can do it this if you go down the home automation route, but that means various extra controls, some form of computer-based central hub, etc, etc. And deep pockets.

pj

Thanks Andy.

They're not always the most attractive of bulbs for a table lamp. But there may be one which will work, and look OK.

Good suggestion though,

David

Have a look at the lightwaverf stuff. Sold under the Siemens brand name in B&Q.

If you get the 'wifilink' box for about £60 that can schedule operations for pretty much anything at any time of day incl dawn and dusk. E.g. I have my patio lights come on at dusk and go off at dusk +1.

It's also all controllable from your iPhone or Android phone, web etc.

You can get plug-in socket switches that are around £30 for 3, so for 90 squid you could have a fully automated system with control from your phone.

I have used a fair bit of it and it works OK, even if it is still a bit immature.

Have a look at the lightwaverf stuff. Sold under the Siemens brand name in B&Q.

If you get the 'wifilink' box for about £60 that can schedule operations for pretty much anything at any time of day incl dawn and dusk. E.g. I have my patio lights come on at dusk and go off at dusk +1.

It's also all controllable from your iPhone or Android phone, web etc.

You can get plug-in socket switches that are around £30 for 3, so for 90 squid you could have a fully automated system with control from your phone.

I have used a fair bit of it and it works OK, even if it is still a bit immature.

Thanks for that - I'll check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back