Plug orientation consistency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any UK electricity boffin enlighten me as to why the orientation of the power cable from a UK plug or adapter is not consistent? Trying to mount an extension lead in a tight spot to accommodate leads from a printer and a battery charger and am stuck between a rock and a hard place: mounting it to accommodate one means there isn't clearance to plug in the other. In NA, leads come perpendicular to the plug face. I wish there was an emoticon for tearing out of hair. Do I need to rewire the plug for one of these items (the printer, I assume, as the adapter would be out of the question)?
There may be a logic to this dilemma, and I'd be happy to be enlightened.
With thanks in advance,
EL

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
mounting it to accommodate one means there isn't clearance to plug in the other.
Or this bit :confused:
I think I get that bit. Depending on their shapes, sizes and orientations, it can often be impossible to plug wallwarts into adjacent outlets of a multi-socket extension lead. Also, if one wants to 'mount' the extension close to some obstruction, the problem arises if the (ELV) cable comes out of the top of one wallwart and the bottom of the other.

Kind Regards, John

F4957871-01.jpg

Good extension sockets should have the earth pin so it is not possible to plug in the wrong way around so opening the shutters without a plug going in. The one shown does that.

But yes if the plug is larger than the minimum design dimensions then one plug can foul the next from going in. The adaptor on the right is considered as dangerous
Adaptors.JPG
as it has no fuse but there is no problem when plugged into an extension lead and I use then to raise one plug higher than next to stop them fouling each other.

The energy saving extension leads designed for computer use
ST0000843120.jpg
do tend to have more space between sockets.

This is how I get around the problem.

... The energy saving extension leads ....
Wot dat? ... another revision of the laws of physics? :)

Kind Regards, John
The idea is when you turn off the PC the other items plugged in are also turned off. Sounds good but in the real world the printer wastes ink every time it's switches off and on and the monitor auto goes into standby mode anyway and I want items plugged into my USB hub to continue charging even when PC is off.

They are also used with TV's but again most items already obey the 1W standby rule and those that don't like the Sky box when turned off will not auto record.

So in the real world they are useless in the main. However the idea is good switching off one item auto switches off the rest it was to fill the gap when PC's that did not have an output socket came out but since then we have lost the cathode ray monitor.

The idea is when you turn off the PC the other items plugged in are also turned off.
I see :) If one turned off the PC (completely, after shutting down) by using the switch on the wall where the extension was plugged in, that ought to achieve the same thing! (which, as you say, is probably not the functionality people want these days!). How much do these high-tech versions of 'the switch on the wall' cost?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back