Plumb Lines - Patterned Wallpaper Either Side of Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to paint my chimney breast and either side, in the alcoves/recess I want to use a feature wallpaper. The alcoves are quite narrow, one side is 28 inches and the other side is 30 inches.

Should I aim to have even strips of wallpaper either side of the full roll width, ie 3 and a half inches either side (21 + 3.5 + 3.5 = 28 inches) and 4 and a half inches either side (21 + 4.5 + 4.5 equals 30 inches)?

Where would the best place be for the plumb line on each recess?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
what you've discribed is ok, but it depends on the pattern on the paper. you could put paper on floor and cover were you think the ends against the walls will be to judge.

I'd go for a central plumb line and have equal widths either side.
That way the pattern, (depending what it is), should be central.

Personally I would have a single "central" plumblines but so that the pattern is identical where it meets the chimney breast. You only have 30" max and most wallpaper is about 20 1/2"

You could even chose the best place to break the pattern and then determine the optimum place to put your join

Regards

Tet (never knowlingly asymmetrical)

Sponsored Links
I would go for the opposite , as it is a central plumb line once the paper is dry your attention will be guided to the central line ,
central the paper in the alcove and make up the pattern with 3.1/2 inch pattern match at sides this way the join is not noticable .

I would go for the opposite , as it is a central plumb line once the paper is dry your attention will be guided to the central line ,
central the paper in the alcove and make up the pattern with 3.1/2 inch pattern match at sides this way the join is not noticable .
I'm not a decorator by trade/profession, but having wallpapered many, many times over the past 45-50 years, I've developed the art/skill(?), of being able to join paper with an almost imperceptible seam. Even I have difficulty finding the join when it comes to stripping off at a later date.
That sounds a bit big-headed. It's not meant to be. My ex FIL was always critical of my decorating skills, (in fact anything I did, he was critical of), so it made me more determined to do things to the best of my ability. He was the type of bloke that the whole family was scared to criticise, until one day he asked what I thought of his papering after he had stuck up some Anaglypta type of paper. I replied, "Looks ok, but you shouldn't have gone over the joins with a seam roller. They hit you in the eye as soon as you look at the paper." He never criticised me again and the wallpaper was changed within a couple of weeks.

My dad was a professional decorator and I'm almost convinced he would say plumb line in centre of alcove (sadly I can't get his opinion anymore) but because the alcoves are so narrow I think he might consider things like how flat the walls are and maybe the light. I think I will go with the central plumbline. The background of the paper is a deep purple. Current;y walls are white so I can paint a deep purple in the centre of the alcoves and mark the plumb line on this.

One other consideration would be that you might be able to get the whole job out of one roll of wallpaper if you use a non-centred single line as opposed to a centred line or a centred strip.

This will depend on the length of the roll of wallpaper, the height of the walls and the pattern repeat

Regards

Tet

30" is 76cm. The most common width for wallpaper is 50-52cm.

I agree with you but I think you miss-phrased what you mean.

The plumb line should be offset by half of the width of the paper, meaning that the gaps to the left and right of the first drop are pretty much equal.

I was worried about the eye being drawn to the centre. I did as you said and I'm really chuffed, it's turned out really good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back