Plumber or builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting dampness rising from the bottom of an interior wall of my 60 year old house which has a concrete floor.

At this stage I can only guess that the problem is either:

A leak in the central heating pipes which run alongside the wall just below the surface of the floor,

Or, having had an infestation of flying ants every year at about this time (they appear from the floor in swarms close to the location of the damp wall) I wondered whether they had chewed up the DPM.

Either way it looks as thought the floor might need to be disturbed, but depending on which of the two options is found, which trade would be more likely to be able to tackle the complete job?

I would appreciate your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
What heating system do you have, If it's pressurized then you'll notice a drop on the pressure gauge on the boiler, is that happening ?, if it's an open vented system then the ball cock on the F&E tank will keep the system topped up but depending on the size of the leak ( if there is one ) you may see the ball valve discharging, which system do you have ?

I have a open vented system with a header tank in the loft.

I did think about tying up the ballcock but with the summer temperatures in my loft I could lose as much water through evaporation.

The underfloor pipes would be the same age as the house, but can copper pipes corrode? I was thinking laterally that if the ants had build a nest round the pipes that something in their nest material might eat away at the pipes over a period of years

unlikely but not impossible, as to the question builder or plumber i guess the answer is if you can get a recommendation for either then go with that and see, If you can get a builder that can or has a plumber that's probably your best bet as most plumbers just plumb.

Sponsored Links
If you lift the floor boards yourself you should be able to determine if there is damp penetrating or a leaking pipe in the area. check outside to ensure dpc not breached by build up against the wall, blocked airbricks, leaking downpipes or other external influences. As a plumber and builder, I would be able to advise, and carry out the works regardless... most plumbers nowadays are multi trade skilled in any case :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back