1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

General Builder or Plumber?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by dogfonos, 14 Feb 2020.

1. dogfonos

dogfonos

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would appreciate advice from tradesfolk...

Should I employ a general builder or a plumber? I want to refurbish a small bathroom. This will involve:

Old WC removed and replaced with new
    Old wash basin removed and replaced with new
    Not sure about the old cast iron bath - maybe send away for proper re-enamelling/re-firing?
    'Above bath' shower and bath itself needs re-routing/new plumbing (some of which runs in internal wall channels).
    Ceramic tiling.

So far, looks like a plumber's job but I also need:

New floor. Old floor is half inch thick sealed cork tiles stuck down on concrete screed with bitumen. Cork tiles are unevenly compressed and need to be removed. No DPM in floor (other than bitumen layer) so some form of damp proofing needed. Final floor covering will be sheet vinyl.

Ceiling needs re-plastering.

I would prefer not to use several different tradesfolk for this job. Thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

So far looks like you have answered your own question (re-plumbing for shower) also the bathroom suite. You may be able to find a multi-skilled/traded plumber who can either do the floor, ceiling or both.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bathroom installer to run the job and subcontract the building bits to a trusted builder

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local