Plumber or builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Environmental health have just been round (called them up). They confirmed sewer gas smell in one room (old house). Had suspected such but plumbers have not been able to solve the problem (boards partially up, under floor seems dry, inspection chamber opened, soil vents and traps checked).

Puzzled. Perhaps I need to replace pipe (running lengthways under room).

Do I need to consult a builder rather than a plumber now? Environmental Health said CCTV would not necessarily help.

There is also a soil pipe under rones.

Help! Any more ideas? And any idea of costs?

Sponsored Links
You should consult someone/company who works exclusively at drainage problems. The average plumber doesn't have cctv!

Lots of plumbers have very little interest in underground drainage, myself included. Too dirty!

I wouldn't read to much into "cctv won't help" it won't fix the problem but it may well find it for you.

There is also a soil pipe under rones.
Please translate into english the word 'RONES'
Worth getting a plumber round if just for an opinion, it could be an unsealed trap or something obvious like an untrapped washing machine. A good plumber would sniff it out where most builders wouldnt have a clue.
Your deeds may have a plan of the drainage that may be useful.
Although a plumber would put you in the picture the drainage work usually gets left to a builder.

Sponsored Links
Thanx.

Is there anything I can do myself to locate the cause before calling in the CCTV guys? Traps are not dry, seems to be no blockage or leakage, vents seem OK.

Yeah - rones. Something to do with the roof supports - it's on the plans. There's a soil pipe from upstairs under them. There's also drainage under the floor.

Environmental Health told me to get in touch with the builder (but the house is OLD).

<I'm here cos local plumbers have already charged £3000 and not solved the problem>

Think I have the answer - or at least am clearer about the probable cause the problem now thanks to CCTV guys. I'm posting what was found in case it helps others.

These CCTV guys actually did lots of tests with dyes (which previous plumbers had not). Water from the washing machine and utility sink did not appear in inspection chamber as it should - but the dyed water came up in the earth around the house!!

So - there is a probable broken/collapsed drain with water leaking under concrete and accumulating at a lower level under the next room floor (extension). Smells = damp and washing machine gunk. Luckily, we may be able to reroute drainage from machine.

Not sure what is best to do about the redundant broken pipe. It does run lengthways under the house. Very damp room to see to now (have been in the house 18 mouths presumably dumping washing machine water under the house the whole time).

Insurance are not interested in the plumbing, of course. Comments welcome!

It depends on what else utilises that pipe. If nothing, and you can find an alternative route for the waste water that does use it, then you could blank it off at both ends and forget about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back