Bathroom refit.....Am I being ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can some professional bathroom installer confirm the costs, as I'm being told that I am getting ripped off.....

The job entails:-

Remove old bathroom suite.
Remove old wall & floor tiles and re-board (if necessary)
Repair possibly required under the floor due to leaking shower (unknown cost)
Install new pipe work and waste systems.(toilet waste already inplace)
Re-tile.
Install new bathroom suite.

I will be supplying the new tiles and the new bathroom suite (inc separate shower).

The chap has quoted me £1750.........is this correct for 5 days work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No.

And whats wrong with comparing quotes if you feel you are.....the guys who quote will have seen the job, we haven't

Hard to say without seeing the job, but it certainly does not sound excessive for a quality job. 1 or 2 guys for that week?

It all depends on the quality of the materials, and the quality of the work. Some use 6 mm mdf to board, some 18 mm marine ply. Cheap adhesive and grout or topquality, there is silicone for £2 a shot or £15, and so on.
Some knock the board in place with a dozen nails, the last one I did got about 400 screws over 6 square metres.

Just because some clowns would charge 400 quid labour, does not mean you are ripped off with £1750

The real question is: how good is this guy, not : what is the minimum price.

Sponsored Links
If the Installer is supplying alll the general materials, pipe/fittings, plasterboard etc etc, then the price is incredibly cheap. It is very easy to spend in excess of £400 ++ on the bits and pieces mentioned

I very rarely get a complete refit done in under 10 days, that's with one man and his trainee, mine sound a bit more involved though.

Where have all the Polish gone, Long time passing ...Where have all the Polish gone, Long time ago. Gone back to a decent economy, every one . When will Brit`s ever learn, When will they ever learn :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am a professional bathroom fitter and do this all week every week. The feedback I get on checkatrade and continued work load says it all.

It will take longer than 5 days even with separate trade for each job lined up ready to go for a start. It takes me 10-15 days to complete an average size b-room job and that's on my own.

There is a lot to do on a refit and although the basic pipe work is straight forward enough there are many details need addressing and the tiling has to be of a high standard as visually this is what you see most of.

The price you have is very cheap to be fair and if he does everything as he should its a winner.

Finally beware of A; cheap prices, if you pay peanuts you often get a monkey doing the work and B; get someone with reviews or a recommendation if poss. this is a very good indication of what to expect from previous customers satisfaction or not.

Finished a bathroom recently for the guy who owns the garage that I send my vehicles to. We've used each other's services for nearly ten years.

Job was basic and core materials supplied.

Even so, and with separate trades I am wincing at what I am going to have to bill him as the amount of farting about overcoming seemingly trivial problems, dealing with extras, missing pieces doughnut carpenters burying things.

OP I would say too cheap. Sure as shit something you buy will be wrong, missing, broken, late, or crap.

Most likely a combination in fact.

Took nearly 2 weeks to do my own smallish bathroom and that wasn't even moving things about that much.

Who is supplying pipe, fittings and sundries?

homer-doh.gif

I am a professional bathroom fitter and do this all week every week. The feedback I get on checkatrade and continued work load says it all.

It will take longer than 5 days even with separate trade for each job lined up ready to go for a start. It takes me 10-15 days to complete an average size b-room job and that's on my own.

There is a lot to do on a refit and although the basic pipe work is straight forward enough there are many details need addressing and the tiling has to be of a high standard as visually this is what you see most of.

The price you have is very cheap to be fair and if he does everything as he should its a winner.

Finally beware of A; cheap prices, if you pay peanuts you often get a monkey doing the work and B; get someone with reviews or a recommendation if poss. this is a very good indication of what to expect from previous customers satisfaction or not.

thanks for your helpful reply but please check the date of the original post before posting.
;)

i know its an old post but i hate it when people go for the "am i being ripped off" line of thinking straight away, why cant they just say is this a reasonable or fair price.

i know its an old post but i hate it when people go for the "am i being ripped off" line of thinking straight away, why cant they just say is this a reasonable or fair price.

For some reason they often think that plumbers or builders are ripping them off. Maybe it's down to all those idiotic tv programmes that set up the fraudsters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back