Plumber replaced float ball and touching side of tank

Sponsored Links
It is possible that the plumber did not replace like-for-like.
He may have replaced a part 2 valve with a part 1.
The float on a part 2 would have been suspended slightly lower.
Indeed - and shorter too so it wouldn`t touch the far end of the tank - and be easily adjustable for water level height . I can`t believe they didn`t just fit a part 2 :rolleyes: . The valve referred to may have been a double check valve on the supply to the ballvalve - I am amazed @ the way plumbing has evolved - it`s high tech electronic controlled boilers vs. simple 1st. year apprentice stuff , and still we see cock ups on the easy stuff :eek:

Phew, this is stressful.

I paid the plumber a fortune to fit this new part and I'm really struggling to get them to come around and fix the problem they've caused. So far we have arranged four appointments and he has turned up to one of them but didn't even look in the tank, just asked me what the problem was and said he needed a new part.

He has even tried to suggest there is a problem with the tank so it's not their fault but that just makes my blood boil so I ignored that comment.

Apparently he's coming next week now to sort it but I'm loosing faith.

Grrr!

Thanks for all your help here. I think I'll fix it myself next time instead of getting a plumber.

I paid the plumber a fortune to fit this new part

As a matter of nosiness ( :D ), how much is "a fortune", and did you pay for 2 parts?

Sponsored Links
It pains me to say it as I know I've been ripped of.

£89 call out
£90 parts
£240 labour (3 hours)

jesus h christ - i thought I could be a little pricey sometimes! :LOL:

What was this mystical prv? And was it made from woven virgin's pubes or summut?

£89 call out
£90 parts
£240 labour (3 hours)
Your address ie. London says it all :cry: Ballvalve part 2 £ 8.90 .... £9.00 parking .....£24.00 labour would get you a skilled time served plumber - but you`d have to be on Asdown Forest to get me that cheap ;) Say £ 40 for cash .

jesus h christ - i thought I could be a little pricey sometimes! :LOL:

What was this mystical prv? ?
Like I said , probably a non return valve for the Part 1 floatvalve - not needed with a part 2

jwhite1";p="2356871 said:

£89 call out
£90 parts
£240 (3 hours)[/quote
jwhite1";p="2356871 said:
]

£329 for time + profit on parts!! OMG :evil: There are guys out there fitting 2 boilers at different locations for that!

Did they provide you with a quote or estimate, or just lump you with the bill?

And what book did he take in the loft to read? Even with a few problems it couldn't take more than an hour on site. Unless it was lead or iron piework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back